Overwhelmed - Try Krainerwurst

Rtasma
Beginner
Beginner

Overwhelmed - Try Krainerwurst

Post by Rtasma » Wed Mar 20, 2013 20:16

I am overwhelmed by all the recipes I have come across! I can't seem to find the one I want. I would like to make a simple, spicy, smoked sausage like ones I get in grocery stores here in the south! Nothing fancy! Any ideas?
Last edited by Rtasma on Wed Oct 02, 2013 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 20, 2013 21:00

Hot smoked polish sausage in hot dog bun sizes would be a good start. http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... hot-smoked
Ross- tightwad home cook
Rtasma
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rtasma » Wed Mar 20, 2013 21:48

Think ill give it a try! Sounds good! Thanks!
patrad

Post by patrad » Fri Jun 28, 2013 03:49

Could you omit the cure #1 in this?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jun 28, 2013 04:31

patrad wrote:Could you omit the cure #1 in this?
Not if you plan to smoke it!
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Sep 28, 2013 03:10

patrad wrote:Could you omit the cure #1 in this?
Rather than doing that just skip your salad.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 03:33

May I suggest the good ol` standby Slovenian garlic and black pepper sausage I always fall back on called, "Krainerwurst" at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=14295#14295
There are three recipes for this tasty sausage at that link including, fresh, cured-cooked-smoked, and "semi-dry" for those folks who like to eat it with a pocket knife while in the saddle. The "cured-cooked-smoked" is excellent and much like a brat. It can be poached, grilled, griddled, baked, or grilled. Oh, did I mention that it could be grilled? It`s simple and tasty!

I hope you have found our "Member`s Recipe Index" at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146

And, Stan Marianski`s Sausage Recipe Index at this link: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/all

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Sep 28, 2013 22:49

Thanks for reminding me of that Slovenian Krainerwurst recipe. In the heat of Project B, I completely overlooked it.

I just scaled the recipe to a kilo of pork mince, ground up the pork and the proportionate amounts of beef and bacon, and threw together the secret blend of herbs and spices. ...nothing shy about the amount of garlic! (I like that.) I'll be smoking it with hickory after the appropriate rest and drying.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 23:13

Hey Duckster, I'm willing to bet Rtasma and Patrad would become heroes after making this legendary sausage! Shucks, first the relatives would taste it, then some newsman. Their fame would spread quickly and Rtasma would appear on the 6:00 o'clock news! Patrad at 10:00 P.M. Both would become legends within a week and a half! Governors and congressmen would write to them... and the town, tasting their Krainerwurst, would probably erect a monument with statues of the men in the town squar...... eh... uh... oooo... oh... forgive me, I got carried away there just a bit. :oops: This is terrific sausage!

Best Wishes,
RockChuckWoodChuck
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 29, 2013 01:18

One quick question on the Krainerwurst.

The recipe says (and so does Wikipedia) "The meat must be cut in small pieces 10 to 13 mm and bacon 8 to 10 mm." Our forum recipe goes on to grind it. I'm wondering, though... why? Maybe in "the old days" that was the size of the meat filling? Looks like it's routinely ground, though, these days (Wikipedia picture.)

...anybody know?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 29, 2013 01:31

The knife and the cleaver have been used for mincing meat since the beginning of meat processing. Before the auger fed grinders there were wooden cylinders in a housing with short knife blades set in a spiral pattern around the cylinder and turned with a crank. The spiral arrangement pushed the mince along and out an opening in the bottom. The chunks were fed into an opening at the top. The ones that I have seen has a cylinder about 3 to 4 inches in diameter and about 6 inches long.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

The old ways are the best

Post by el Ducko » Mon Sep 30, 2013 22:49

I wondered why the Krainerwurst recipe advised
links are formed in pairs of 12 to 16 cm lengths having the weight of 180 to 220 grams. Wooden skewers are used to hold the pairs together.
Now I know.

I figured I'd ignore the skewer advice but, while hanging the links in my smoker, it dawned on me- - the skewers keep the links from contacting each other as much, leading to better surface presentation for absorbing smoke.

Putting on my "Vlad the Impaler" mindset :twisted: , I ran bamboo shish kabob skewers through adjacent links, lengthwise, and sure enough, it helped.

Time to fix an ancient herbal-based Canadian draught (gin & Canada Dry tonic), wait for the 130° F heat soak period to finish, and start smoke. The recipe calls for hickory. Perhaps Beloved Spouse can spare that heavy, medieval-looking heirloom table hidden away down in the dungeon, under the stairs.

...more info after a few turns of the hour glass timer.

Stinky the Duck
Dinky the Stuck
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Sep 30, 2013 23:31

el Ducko wrote:utting on my "Vlad the Impaler" mindset :twisted: , I ran bamboo shish kabob skewers through adjacent links, lengthwise, and sure enough, it helped.
I'm glad that the method worked for you Pato, but that was not the instruction in the recipe. Wooden skewers are a traditional way to tie off the ends of the sausage casing, rather than using twine. :roll: In one of the Marianski books there are diagrams and instructions on the technique. :lol:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Oct 01, 2013 00:58

UhOh! Yeah, I seem to remember, somewhere...
Oh, well. The skewers did seem to help, the way I did 'em. (Sigh.)
:oops:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Krainerwurst lives! (Well, it's cooked, but...)

Post by el Ducko » Tue Oct 01, 2013 16:57

My batch of Krainerwurst finished up beautifully. The following are some photos.

Here's the batch, "hangin' out" to dry before smoking.
This time, I used my Control Products TC-9102D driving an electric hot plate in the bottom of the smoker box to maintain smoke temperature. It worked well despite wintery Texas temperatures in the mid '80s F.
There was plenty of hickory smoke
thanks to an Amazin'™ tube smoke generator which I lit, then inserted into the inlet I installed on the bottom of the smoker box.
After 4-1/2 hours of smoke and gradual setpoint adjustments, the sausage was pulled, cold-showered, and readied for vacuum packaging in FoodSaver bags.
...gonna have a great lunch, today. (This batch has extra garlic.)

Duk