Grinding into casings

patrad

Grinding into casings

Post by patrad » Thu Apr 18, 2013 21:18

Hi,
I've been making fresh Polish and Italian with my Dad and Grandfather for many years now. We always usually just cube up pork butt, add spices, let refrigerate for a few hours, then grind into hog casings. Only recently have I been exposed online to the methods of grinding first, adding more liquid, emulsifying, using a dedicated stuffer, etc. I'm gathering that the whole reason of not grinding directly into casings is when you want to add water, emulsify, etc.

So my question is this? Is it worth the hassle/time? In particular for fresh (white) Polish or Italian? We've been skipping that this entire time and I guess, not really missing it. What would it add to the final product?

Thanks!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 19, 2013 00:28

I think it depends on your tastes. To me, it allows for more consistency, a better blend and a moisture more juicy sausage. For me, its worth the trouble.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Apr 19, 2013 01:53

I recall reading, somewhere on our forum, that the traditional Polish way is to cut everything up, mix in the herbs & spices, let it season in the cooler, then grind and stuff. I stuff separately from grinding because I have two different pieces of equipment. That said, I don't see why you couldn't stuff off the grinder.

But on the other hand, I think that people like to mix before stuffing, especially if something (example: water) is added or if the fat is unevenly distributed. Multiple passes through the grinder may be required as well. I grind, then mix, then season overnight, then stuff. You could let it season in the casing, I guess, but I feel like allowing everything to diffuse, the proteins to develop, etc. seems like a good idea.

Bottom line: do which ever way you like, keep it cold, stay safe.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 19, 2013 03:48

I noticed a lot of the polish recipes call for curing the meat first then doing sausage. This sounds reasonable.

Personally, I don't like strict rules and think you ought to just do it however you want and whatever pleases you and your tastes. But if you don't try other methods you really have no way of judging the quality differences between different procedures.
patrad

Post by patrad » Fri Apr 19, 2013 18:39

Thanks. If you don't have a dedicated stuffer, and don't want to re-grind, but stuff, can you put the ground meat through the grinder with no blade on it?
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Apr 19, 2013 21:30

You can use what is called a kidney plate in place of a grinding plate.

I stuffed straight from the grinder for a long time before I bought a vertical stuffer. Not having a separate stuffer means one less piece of equipment to clean, which is an advantage. But I found that it's nicer to have a separate stuffer. It gives you more control. Further, it is something you can keep cold right up till when you need it. I freeze my grinder head before using it, but the longer it sits out, the warmer it gets.

If you don't have or want a stuffer, you might consider buying a foot pedal for your grinder if it is electric. That gives you more control when working by yourself. Amazon has them at good prices - I bought the same one Cabellas sells for about half of what they charge. It's one of the best purchases I've made in a long while!

Cheers,
Jeff
patrad

Post by patrad » Sat Jun 15, 2013 16:05

I ended up buying a foot pedal and you are absolutely right. Thank you!
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Jun 17, 2013 07:04

Glad it worked for you patrad!

Cheers,
Jeff
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Jun 17, 2013 09:34

Kidney plate works good, but they also sell plates with big "regular" holes.
I bought a plate on e bay, advertised hole size 3/4 inch, but in reality it's 13/16". (.812)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PICK-YOUR-SIZE- ... 484260d3a6

Joe
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Edward Ronald

Post by Edward Ronald » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02

Gulyás wrote:Kidney plate works good, but they also sell plates with big "regular" holes.
I bought a plate on e bay, advertised hole size 3/4 inch, but in reality it's 13/16". (.812)
Joe
This is cool and attractive. I checked its quality its really nice and affordable. You shared nice and quality item. I never saw it before.