A thought on smoking

Butterbean

A thought on smoking

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 19, 2013 03:39

I stepped in my smokehouse today for a few minutes and when I left my clothes smelt quite smokey in spite of the fact the smokehouse has not been used in a week. This got me to thinking if it would be possible to cold smoke some cheese in the house without even lighting a fire only relying on the residual smoke that has penetrated the interior of the smokehouse.

Has anyone ever tried this? My curiosity is up and I think I have a block of cheese I could sacrifice for the experiment.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Apr 19, 2013 13:51

As long as the cheese doesn't melt you won't lose anything by trying. you could even add a puff of smoke and leave the vent closed if you didn't get as much flavor as you wanted.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 19, 2013 15:25

Nothing ventured nothing gained. Put cheese in the smoker. The air in the smokehouse is very heavy with the smoke smell so I can't see how it would be possible for the cheese to not soak up this flavor. I am going on the assumption that the smoke molecules must be heavy in the air for you to smell it and they will eventually permeate the cheese.

I'll keep you informed on how it comes out.

Any ideas on how long to leave the cheese in the smokehouse?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 04:23

Hey, hey JM! I've done this and yes it works. It is also done in parts of Europe in the cool seasons. Great idea pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Apr 20, 2013 18:21

Pulled the cheese out this morning and YES it works like a charm. I've put it in a bag and am going to let it sit in the fridge for a day to let the flavors equalize. BTW - I think one day is plenty of time.