Salt Pork

YooperDog
Beginner
Beginner

Salt Pork

Post by YooperDog » Wed Apr 24, 2013 16:22

Did my first try at making salt pork using the trimmings from my pork bellies after squaring up slabs. I used Bad Bobs Bacon Balm for the salt pork and cured them for two weeks, over hauling half way through. I rinsed and cleaned excess salt, hung to dry for a day and then started to cold smoke. About 6 hours into smoking the meat started showing a crust of salt. Cooked a test sample and this was overly salty. Question I have is can I soak these pieces to help remove the excess salt or does any one have some suggestions on reducing the the saltiness?
Last edited by YooperDog on Fri Dec 06, 2013 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 24, 2013 16:36

Many years ago we received salt pork in small barrels of salt. It was kept in the barrel until someone asked for a square of salt pork and we dug it out and scraped the salt off and weighed it for sale. There was no cure and no sugar or smoke. The buyer could use it as is or soak out some of the salt. We used it for bakedbeans and as fat and garnish when we made a chowder. The briney little pieces of rendered fat were a treat
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Apr 24, 2013 17:38

The way we use salt pork here is for seasoning in beans and peas. Its very salty but that is how we want it. We just use a few slices in each pot.
YooperDog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by YooperDog » Thu Apr 25, 2013 15:18

Thanks all. It sounds like I did things right. I was comparing what I did to store bought salt pork. I figured worse case that I could cut it into small pieces when needed. I will just package it up into smaller portions than planned and reduce the salt in anything that it is being added to. I appreciate the the feedback. Now if I can only figure out how to add picture thing.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:48

Yooper, I had so much trouble with imageshack that I had to finally go to photobucket. It works perfectly and its easy too. Here's a link: http://photobucket.com/

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D