Pickle Eggs in Fermented Vegetable.

Tom J
Beginner
Beginner

Pickle Eggs in Fermented Vegetable.

Post by Tom J » Sun May 05, 2013 18:01

Question about food safety.

I was thinking about brimming (pickling) hard boiled eggs in with my fermented vegetables, mostly in my chilies.
Dose anyone know if this would be unsafe?
If not, at what time should the eggs be put in the brine? As in the be gaining or after the fermentation of the vegetables is complete?

Receipt for brine

50 grams of Kosher Salt in 1 liter of Filtered or UN Chlorinated water.

Leave head space in container for weight. pour brine over to cover. DO NOT seal.
5 to 7 days at room temp. 70 to 75 deg F is ideal.

Thanks

Tom J
Last edited by Tom J on Fri Dec 06, 2013 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun May 05, 2013 18:07

Tom, When I pickle eggs I like to have the acid in the brine from the start.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Tom J
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom J » Mon May 06, 2013 13:38

Thanks Ross
Doug
User
User

Post by Doug » Mon May 06, 2013 14:25

Ross, excuse my ignorance but where is the acid coming from? From the fermentation of the chilis?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon May 06, 2013 15:17

When the pickles ferment the process yields lactic acid. Or as I do for pickled eggs I started out with a vinegar and salt pickle brine with added spice. http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon May 06, 2013 20:09

It's wise to follow tested recipes when making pickled eggs.
Pickled eggs should be refrigerated at all times.

"Foodborne Botulism From Eating Home-Pickled Eggs --- Illinois, 1997

During November 1997, the Illinois Department of Public Health was notified by a local physician about a possible case of foodborne botulism. This report summarizes the case investigation, which implicated home-pickled eggs as the cause.

On November 23, 1997, a previously healthy 68-year-old man became nauseated, vomited, and complained of abdominal pain. During the next 2 days, he developed diplopia, dysarthria, and respiratory impairment, necessitating hospitalization and mechanical ventilation. Physical examination confirmed multiple cranial nerve abnormalities, including extraocular motor palsy and diffuse flaccid paralysis. Possible botulism was diagnosed, and a one-vial dose of trivalent (types A, B, and E) antibotulinum toxin was administered. A sample of the patient's serum collected before antitoxin administration demonstrated the presence of type B botulinum toxin. A food history revealed no exposures to home-canned products; however, the patient had eaten pickled eggs that he had prepared 7 days before onset of illness; gastrointestinal symptoms began 12 hours after ingestion. The patient recovered after prolonged supportive care.

The pickled eggs were prepared using a recipe that consisted of hard-boiled eggs, commercially prepared beets and hot peppers, and vinegar. The intact hard-boiled eggs were peeled and punctured with toothpicks then combined with the other ingredients in a glass jar that closed with a metal screw-on lid. The mixture was stored at room temperature and occasionally was exposed to sunlight.

Cultures revealed Clostridium botulinum type B, and type B toxin was detected in samples of the pickled egg mixture at CDC's National Botulism Surveillance and Reference Laboratory. C. botulinum was cultured from the pickling liquid, beets, and egg yolk. The concentration of preformed type B toxin was 1000 times greater in the egg yolks than in the pickling liquid and was undetected in the beets. Peppers from the original commercial container contained no detectable toxin, and bacterial cultures of the peppers did not yield C. botulinum. Beets from the original commercial containers were not available. The pH of the pickling liquid was 3.5 (i.e., adequate to prevent C. botulinum germination and toxin formation. However, the pH of the egg yolk was not determined [normal egg yolk pH: 6.8])."

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4934a2.htm
Godspeed!

Bob
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue May 07, 2013 00:11

Never heard of pricking the eggs with a toothpick. I assume he did this to make them pickle better? Think this had anything to do with it?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue May 07, 2013 00:31

Butterbean wrote:Never heard of pricking the eggs with a toothpick. I assume he did this to make them pickle better? Think this had anything to do with it?
I read of this incident some time ago and the CDC concluded that the toothpick pricks inocculated the eggs and the pickle couldn't penetrate the toothpick track. The result was a good idea that didn't work as planned.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue May 07, 2013 02:00

Thanks for the explanation. I love pickled eggs and this gave me some concern. Incidently, I don't know what the shelf life is of pickled eggs but I know its over 8 years. My wife was cleaning out the storage closet and found a jar of eggs I had done 8 years prior. The eggs looked more like chocolate easter eggs. Knowing a good thing when I see it, I called my buddy and we got some beer and our fishing rods and sat by the lake and feasted. Each bite was a so deliciously scathing because the pepper and the pickle had truly pickled them 100%. It was wonderful.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue May 07, 2013 02:47

Go and type in Amish Mustard Eggs on Google. I tried to get the recipe and attach it but I'm computer illiterate. Only thing is, when I made them I had to use 4X the amount of horseradish. Very tasty. Went real quick at the house. The recipe is basic and could be easily adjusted to your tastes. Enjoy.