To cure or not

Tom J
Beginner
Beginner

To cure or not

Post by Tom J » Thu May 09, 2013 18:35

Good morning all.

Need some info on shipping sausages. A daughter has requested I ship her some Brats for my grandson home coming party from Afghanistan.
I can truly see snakes in the water as I have zero experience in shipping sausages.
As this would be A fresh sausage for me (no cure) and the only shipping in evolved is 20 feet to the Frig I need HELP.
Should I brine or just add cure to seasoning?
Recommendation on shipper (UPS, Fed-X or :?:). I would guess over night shipping.
As always safety is paramount because I will be doing the test fry.

Thanks Much.

Tom J
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu May 09, 2013 18:39

I would include cure#1 at the rate of .25% and reduce the salt accordingly. UPS and FEDEX should have insulated shipping boxes and then all you need is a supply of dry ice.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu May 09, 2013 18:56

If you are shipping with dry ice do not vac pac the dry ice or put in a completely air tight container or it will bust the box. No need to go into how I know this. Lets just say I'm smart. :oops:
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri May 10, 2013 04:32

INHO, I would shelve the idea of shipping fresh sausages across the country. Not worth the work, expense and risk.
Tom J
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom J » Fri May 10, 2013 16:04

Thanks all for the input.

Ross, need more information please. Cure # 1 @ .25 % ? Green weight?

Tom J
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri May 10, 2013 16:23

Green weight same as for hot smoked sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Tom J
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Tom J » Fri May 10, 2013 16:28

Ross

Thanks again.

PS: By the way, once again you have gave me room for thought. In looking at some of your pic's on the way you tied your butts, and this gave me the idea to cut mine in half as well. Should save time in the smoke house.

Tom J
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri May 10, 2013 16:54

Tom I just plan to finish the pieces in sizes that are convenient for my size family. Someone has defined eternity as two people and a whole ham.
Ross- tightwad home cook
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sat May 11, 2013 12:30

Many a year ago I nursed a person with Tetatnus, they died horrably. It had, and I am sure still has a profund effect on the family and all the health care workers involved. The person had never had a simple innoculation. Death from tetanus is not the same as death from botulism (I have never seen it). From what I have read it is ugly. Yes botulism is rare, but afterall death is death and permenatnt disability is permenant.

I know that anyone can die unexpectantly, but why increase the chances of others and your death or disability (infective diarrhoea and vomiting is not nice) and the pain of loss of others if by simple precautions you can can reduce the chance of illness by taking a few simple precautions.

Immagen welcoming your grandson home from a very tretorus place by killing or crippipling him; even if it is only from good old diarrhoea and vomiting.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime