Questions and thoughts on making fermented Sausages

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Questions and thoughts on making fermented Sausages

Post by markjass » Tue Jul 09, 2013 09:15

The thought of producing fermented sausages makes me a bit apprehensive and excited at the same time. This revolves around the challenge, being able to make things that I want to, but are unable to get hold of and producing fine quality products. It is the health and safety issues of fermented sausages that makes me feel a little apprehensive. I feel that this is a healthy apprehension.

Unless I import a starter culture or do not use one (just joking) I have to use BioBak ultra plus. This culture can be used up to 28 degrees C. I have copies of the Marianski books, . . . Fermented Sausages and Home Production of . . . . I also have Rhulman & Polcyn`s `Salumi`. I have read these books a few times. My understanding is that depending on the temperature of the chamber and length of time I ferment I can produce most types of fermented sausages; Dry (slow fermented or semi dry (fast or medium fermented. Now the semi dry sausages require a rapid drop in PH and the slow fermented are more reliant on the Aw. Having said that the ph is still important.

Now I will need to monitor the Ph and the Aw. Some people use litmus paper and others use a digital measure for Ph. What are people`s thoughts on either? Does anyone have a recommended type of meter? I have looked online (things like this are very costly in NZ) and Aw measures are expensive. Do people measure the Aw?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 09:49

Mark, Probably the greatest edge you could provide yourself with at this point is reading and completely understanding "Project A". Click on this link for an explanation. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5099 There is a ton of information to be learned by studying the information. Be sure to read it all the way to the end. Good luck!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01

Thank you CW. I like to get my teeth into projects. Before starting things I want to know a lot (in the past it has been suggested to me that I over-read when doing study). Before I get into projects I like to be well prepared. I can and do find solutions when things start to go in unexpected directions. Unfortunatly I learn best when I am shown how to do things and then the person watches over me when I do things for the first time. I do find techinical or instruction books or how to program your DVD guides etc hard work.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime