Your own casings?

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Aug 08, 2013 03:53

I'll just order my casings delivered to my front door. Great luck at the Let it Ride table today, my wife might even let me do a little Cabelas shoppin'! RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Thu Aug 08, 2013 06:36

Growing up, we stopped feeding the pigs 48 hours before slaughter, and only watered them. This limited the amount of feces at slaughtering time.

Cleaning the intestines was one of the jobs that came to us kids. It was smelly, but no worse than cleaning out the pens every day.

Hog intestines were flushed with water and any remaining waste pushed out. Then we reversed them, also using running water, and simply scraped the insides out with a wooden scraper.

Cleaned casings were salted and went into a mason jar.

The larger parts, stomach and bung, were not used by us at the time so I have no memory of saving them. We never cleaned sheep casings that I recall.

I was probably 12 the last time I did this, but it was not the worst job of the day.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 09:22

but it was not the worst job of the day.
Wullll... eh... what WAS the worst of the day Witt?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Thu Aug 08, 2013 09:30

Ha ha ha

For me at that age, it was dealing with the blood and trauma of the actual killing of the hogs.

Though I was raised knowing exactly where my food came from, I showed these animals at 4H, FFA and county fairs. I cared for them, fed them, nursed them through illness and even slept with them on occasion.

They were farm animals and bound for the table, but they were also friends....

I had no issue killing and dressing a deer that I brought down with rifle or bow, but to kill these hogs was quite another thing completely.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:35

Witt, I understand completely, believe me. I wish more people felt like you do. I was raised by cattle ranchers and I slept with 'em more than a few times, tended the critters, and even sang to them. I abhor the inhumane treatment of any animal. My hat is off to you Witt. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D