what is the easiest to smoke for a beginner?

sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

what is the easiest to smoke for a beginner?

Post by sambal badjak » Sat Aug 10, 2013 08:52

I am just wondering what would be the easiest thing to smoke for someone who has only done some stove top smoking (you know, one of those things you put on the stove top, throw some wood chips and smoke fish or chicken or whatever for an hour, maybe 2 maximum)

Basically the set up I got:
- a (fake) Webber
- a cold smoke generator (proQ, coming in today)
- a drum smoker (almost like the one described on this site as a metal sheet smoker, which I plan on using with the cold smoke generator
I can also use this cold smoke thing with the webber braai

I don't know yet what temperatures I will be getting. the max day temperature here is just over 30 oC now and the min night temperature around 18 oC, so proper cold smoking is out.

As smoke dust is not that easy to get here, I want to smoke something while checking on the temperatures I will achieve.

I am looking for something that would come out pretty ok (and safe to eat) regardless of the temperature
I have sodium nitrite, so I can make sausages, alternatively I am thinking about chicken pieces or maybe onions or vegetables?
What would you guys recommend?
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat Aug 10, 2013 09:24

Hi Sambal,
I started with pork loins, and then moved on to chicken breasts and salmon. You really can't go too wrong. Just make sure you brine them long enough - do you have Marianski's books?
I think you will be amazed by how good things taste when smoked.
For a quick bit of success, chicken's probably a good one to start.
Good luck!
Ursula
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:51

Thanks Ursula,
If you don't mind me asking: What brine did you use and for how long?
I am about halfway through marianski's "home production of quality mea and tsausages" and I have read a ton of info on this forum and on meatsand sausages.com as well as poli's site.
I am not going to venture into fermented sausages (yet)
I feel like I am actually starting to understand the process.
A couple of days ago I made some fresh sausages and even though it was my first attempt, they taste so much better than the shop bought ones :roll:
I am on a roll now!!!!!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 10, 2013 14:50

I believe that chicken pieces are the easiest to smoke and not get into trouble with. You can always finish them on the grill or on the cooking stove in the house. If fresh fish are available then hot smoking a fish will be good.
If there is a saw mill near by you perhaps you could get some saw dust from a tree species that is not aromatic. fruit trees are always good but avoid mango. The problem that exists for people desiring to smoke meat in parts of the world away from the northern temperate zone is identifying desirable wood species..
Ross- tightwad home cook
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Aug 10, 2013 16:22

Hi Sambal.

It's all easy- so just smoke whatever is easily available, cheap :mrgreen: , and that you would like to eat! I started with country style ribs, which are cut from the blade end of the pork loin and have a lot of fat (which makes them especially easy to hot smoke). Whole chickens are really easy too, and I agree that brining helps a lot. With the skin left on, the birds are naturally basted. "Beer can chicken" is a bit favorite around here. The meat gets smoked and steamed at the same time. Cheap cuts of beef work great, too. I've always been partial to eye of round because it is just the right shape for sandwiches.

No need to brine beef or fatty pork like butt or ribs - but rubs make a big difference.

You sound like someone with an attention to detail, given your questions and all the research you've done. IMHO, this is the secret of a good cook.

I still remember the first time I smoked something, and simply could not believe how great it tasted. I was instantly and forever hooked. You will be amazed!

Jeff
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Aug 10, 2013 17:59

I agree with Cab, it's all easy. I have done everything I've smoked with CW's brining recipes and have gotten rave reviews all around. I'm most partial to smoking whole chickens and whole pork loins, they have become a staple in our house. No matter what you smoke just make sure you've got a decent meat thermometer with probe so you'll know the exact internal temperature of the meat being smoked, that's critical. You also want to know the temperature the smoker is running at. Good luck and have fun! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 23:25

Hi Anne-Marie,
You have got all the equipment you need to do some successful smoking. Just make sure you use cure and watch the internal meat temperatures.
Cold smoking is impossible where you are, the same as where I live but don't worry about that right away, Start smoking!!!!!!!!!
I urge you to try Sawhorseray's smoked 7UP chicken, I did and I am sold on it, obviously he tweeked CW's recipe but once tried you will make it all the time.
Smoked biltong is a favourite here, even with my Japie friends. Try it, great with a cold ale.
Good Luck,
Jan.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sun Aug 11, 2013 07:51

Hi Sambal,
For the pork loin I brined at 60 (don't have the little o symbol on my keyboard) for 4 days,
but for sheer quick and satisfying results (and to give you confidence) I agree with Ross. Chicken is really easy, quick and forgiving.Only need to brine for a couple of hours at 21 strength brine, then rinse thoroughly and whack it in the smoke. Tastes beautiful in sandwiches, or for a salad plate.
Fish is similarly easy; just a stronger brine.
You sound like you have a good handle on how it is done; just keep trying things out and expanding your knowledge. This site has some amazing people who will answer any questions you have. Good luck!
Regards Ursula
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:19

You guys rock!!
Thanks for all the help.
Things are on a slight hold at the moment as I got a cold :cry:
Shouldn't take to long to recover and then we go rockin' and rollin'
I'll keep you posted of all experiments.

I intend to use some nitrite for my first experiments while I figure out at what temperature my snoking set up works. I do have an instant read thermometer that I can use for both checking the internal meat temperature and the smoker temperature. And if it runs cool, I'll just have to finish of the product in the oven for now
Thans again!!!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Aug 12, 2013 13:59

Ursula, Just look to the left of this box that we type our replies in and you will see 6 lines of hieroglyphics when you put the cursor on one of them and click it jumps in front of whatever you were typing♥.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Mon Aug 12, 2013 14:55

°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Found it!
Thanks
Ursula