Tying Sausage Links

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sun Sep 22, 2013 14:56

Great. I tend to tie a bit of string around each twist to get around the problem.

Markjass
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 22, 2013 17:26

I forget where I saw it (perhaps in the Rytek Kutas book), but whoever it was recommended twisting one link one way (for starters), then twisting alternate ones in the opposite direction. Overall there's no twist, but individually, all are twisted.

By the way, this is a variant of an old textile mill trick called a "false twist." If it works for yarn, why not for sausage? (Or that's the yarn, anyway.)

Maybe you can fill a little less tightly, next batch, and try the twist technique. You'll get the feel of it, and your links will look more uniform as you practice. And like the medical doctors who bury their mistakes, you can eat yours!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Sep 22, 2013 17:41

[quote="sambal badjak"I struggled a bit dividing the sausages in links. Last time I twisted them as soon as they came out of the mincer with stuffing attachment. This time I made a single large sausage and linked them later. I had read somewhere that that worked better. Unfortunately not for me. I broke a couple. I probably overfilled them, but still feel it is easier to link them direct, at least with my set-up.[/quote]

I tried linking the sausage one at a time as they came out of the stuffer once and it drove me crazy. I've come to accept that popping a casing while twisting from time to time is just part of the process of linking, tho frustrating. When smoking sausage I'll just link them with a tie of string to avoid any unraveling while hanging in the smoker, fresh sausage just gets twisted. Just like you I used to think that I was over-filling them, and maybe it does depend on ones set-up, tho I'm pretty sure you want the sausages nice and plump with no air in the casing.

I've seen some pics where the sausages have about 3/4" between the links, and I'd love to be able to do that, but will probably just have to stick with what I know will work for me with the set-up I've got. I hate popped casings! :cry: RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 22, 2013 18:47

I have many time cut the casing with the string but have learned that if I pinch them with thumb and finger they accept the string better.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 02:16

Sambal Jak wrote:
it is amazing how much the flavour changed, and how some spices are now more pronounced and others less in comparison with its fresh brother!
Shucks girl, now you know why sausage-makers are so crazy about their craft. This stuff will get into your blood and will always intrigue you to the point where you can't stop!
Ross and Sawhorse are right about making one large coil, then pressing the places you wish to tie a string (or twirl it for a link), with your index-finger and your thumb. Use both hands and press two places (with your fingers and thumbs) with the desired length link between them. Then simply twirl the sausage twice in a forward motion while you drop your hands a few inches. Presto... perfect links!
Be sure to use a needle to rid the sausage of air pockets. Remember that collagen casing won't hold a link. Some folks use a string to tie it with, but in smaller diameters, I've found that if you allow the sausage to "set" slightly (30 minutes in the fridge), then you can simply cut the to length with a pair of scissors. This is ideal for breakfast links or kabinosy.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Mon Sep 23, 2013 05:46

I am not sure if my terminology is/was right.
I was trying to twist the sausages. I tend to forget which way I turn them though.
Suppose Iwas thinking of other things at the same time. Maybe I need more of a one track mind :mrgreen:

It'sjust funny: this was the second time I made sausages and I am now running into problems that I didn't even notice the first time. Maybe I just got over confident!

And yeah, no real train smash as I just threw the sausage meat back in the mincer to fill up another skin.

Thanks for your tips. I will try again!
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
ajwillsnet
User
User

twisting sausage links

Post by ajwillsnet » Mon Sep 23, 2013 16:43

Hey Sambal: Instead of twisting every link and having to remember to twist forward and reverse on every other link, try twisting every other link,ie link one, link3 , link 5 etc. This way you only have to twist in one direction.

Bert
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Re: twisting sausage links

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Sep 23, 2013 20:23

Bert's right on track, that's how it's done. I make a mark on my work table to measure where to pinch them, I like eight inches. I cut them with a sharp paring blade and then let them sit in the freezer for an hour before shrink-wrapping, helps maintain their form. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Tue Sep 24, 2013 05:54

Why didn't I think of that?

So simple and yet, it will solve the issue !!

Thanks guys
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)