Summer sausage/perreroni Recipies

pignout
Beginner
Beginner

Summer sausage/perreroni Recipies

Post by pignout » Thu Sep 26, 2013 00:05

Hey All, I am currently trying to find some good recipes for some summer sausage as well as some pepperoni (both cooked not fermented). I`m trying to find a good recipe that isn`t sold in a kit, so I can get the ingredients and tinker if I please. I`ve been looking on here but the MASS amounts of info are a little overwhelming. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Last edited by pignout on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Sep 26, 2013 00:55

Here is the slow fermented recipe from this site.

Pepperoni (Slow fermented, dry sausage)
Traditional pepperoni is a dry sausage, smoked, air dried, sometimes cooked. Pepperoni can be made from beef, pork or a combination such as 30% beef and 70% pork. Pepperoni is a lean sausage with fat content < 30%. Cheaper, fast-fermented (semi-dry) and cooked types end up as toppings to pizzas worldwide to give flavor. Traditionally made Italian pepperoni was not smoked.

Meats Metric US
pork 700 g 1.54 lb.
beef 300 g 0.66 lb.
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat

salt 28 g 5 tsp.
Cure #2 2.5 g 1/2 tsp.
dextrose (glucose), 0.2% 2.0 g 1/3 tsp.
sugar 3.0 g 1/3 tsp.
black pepper 3.0 g 11/2 tsp.
paprika 6.0 g 3 tsp.
anise seeds, cracked, (or fennel seeds) 2.5 g 2 tsp.
cayenne pepper 2.0 g 1 tsp.
T-SPX culture 0.12 g

This is easy to adapt to a fresh as well as a cooked sausage:
for a fresh sausage drop the cure and the culture and reduce the amount of salt. I use 16g per kg.

For a cooked sausage drop the culture and change the cure to cure No. 1. Also reduce the amount of salt to 16g (you can use more).

For both I use normal hog casings. I smoke the cured ones (not the fresh ones as they do not have cure in them) for 1-2 hours. You do not have to smoke them. The cured verson are fantastic.

Good Luck
Markjass
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 03:15

Hi Pignout,
Our Member`s Recipe Index (MRI) is found at this link:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146 . It has all sorts of recipes including a non-fermented pepperoni recipe.

Also, be sure to check out Stan's Index And Recipe Pages at this link: http://www.meatsandsausag...age-recipes/all

Both of the sausages you mentioned will be part of our "Project B2" which starts next week. It is for beginning sausage makers and will not overwhelm you with information. Click on the "For Beginner`s" forum or find it at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6748

If you still can`t find what you are looking for, give us another rattle.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D