National Vodka Day

jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

National Vodka Day

Post by jbk101 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 23:26

Hey All,
Hope everyone is well and happy :grin:

Today is National Vodka Day :grin: so Here is a Photo of some Flavored Vodka's that I am in the process of ageing :cool:

All the fruit used to make them is from trees in my yard :smile: with the exception of the Plums which I am trying an experiment (That's why is only a small caning jar). I used dried plums I got from Costco since I don't have a good source of Plums that I have found yet. I plan on planting a couple of plum trees just haven't gotten around to it yet. :sad:

So Happy National Vodka Day :shock:
Sto Lat

John
Last edited by jbk101 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Oct 05, 2013 00:26

Wow, I didn't even know, Happy National Vodka Day to you John! My favorite flavor is attained by filling a large glass about 3/4 full with ice cubes, pour in a little vermouth, drain all the vermouth out, fill the glass with good vodka, garnish with two olives on a toothpick. Oh my, look at the time, it's tini time! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat Oct 05, 2013 01:25

Hey 101. My only experience with the fruit and vodka was when I was in college. Buddies father brought out Oxheart cherries soaked in vodka. He warned everyone about eating them. Guy ate the cherries and 1/2 hr. later he TRIED to get up. Once we got him off the floor, the point was well taken. I've made them but it seems like the vodka goes into the fruit and the liquid is rather bland. Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Oct 05, 2013 03:09

...used to go to Nuevo Laredo for Saturday afternoon with my new wife and in-laws, about 45 years ago. It was nicer then, good shopping and horse racing and good restaurants. Father-in-law would always bring back a couple of quarts of "Oso Negro" vodka, put the zest from three or four fresh oranges from our back yard or the Rio Grande Valley, and a cup or so of sugar.

I guess we were after fruit cordial, whereas I'd call jbk101's efforts cordial fruit! Either way, small quantities are great. (But watch out...!!)

Ray, the secretaries used to "marinate" olives in vodka and bring 'em in for holiday parties at work. You couldn't have "alcohol" at work, but marinated olives supplemented the Christmas and San Jacinto Day pot luck dinner parties nicely.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Oct 05, 2013 07:44

There was a time in my youth when I'd marinate dried apricots in vodka and rock candy for a half year. the result was delicious and a little too much would make a man sick the next day. It's the sugar that makes a man sick, or too many ice cubes. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”