Prepackaged Spice Mix Anyone?

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Prepackaged Spice Mix Anyone?

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 20, 2014 22:00

I'd dare to venture that most of the folks on this forum tend to mix their own spices to come up with that "signature" recipe. I know I prefer to mix my own and not go for the premixed plan. Although I do have one maple breakfast sausage that I do purchase only because I can't seem to duplicate the ingredients or taste which has folks clamoring for more.

I was wondering if any of you folks have a premixed spice package that you purchase and you've found to be outstanding, or is it a cardinal sin to buy a premixed package?
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 23:20

No sin at all if you like the product. I mix my own as I usually want a stronger spice flavor and I already have and use most of the spices I need for sausages and tasso. (seems marjoram and savory are not popular in my local markets) Care to share your maple season mix source? I like breakfast sausage but have not found one I like.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 20, 2014 23:44

Most small and large sausage makers buy custom ordered premixed spice mixes. That way they get consistency, save on labour and at the same time keep the blend a secret. Many employees eventually open up their own shops and that way they don't walk away with the recipes. For us hobbyists it is convenient and also time saving and even more so if you don't have a small scale. It is always cheaper to mix your own, especially if you make a lot of sausage. Remember, what you are paying for is mostly salt. But if you make it only once in a blue moon and in small quantities at that, it may be more cost effective to buy the mixed. I have tried the Polish Sausage mixes by A.C. Legg and Sausagemaker and they are not bad, but I had to add extra pepper and garlic. The Legg spicy Italian was also quite good.

What I do't like about the pre-mixed stuff is that they put many ingredients in there that they don't identify, i.e. Sausagemaker simply states "spices". They also tend to put things that you don't want, and that is why you make your own. For example, Legg adds MSG.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 20, 2014 23:52

Darwin, my maple breakfast sausage mix is from www.psseasoning.com It is #274. I do add slightly less than 1 Tbls. of cayenne pepper to a 10# batch, which is just the right amount of heat for my family. Which I guess you could say is my 'signature' touch.
I have to say this is the bees knees for maple tasting breakfast sausage. I've priced out the dried granule maple and its pretty expensive just to purchase alone. I know at times during the year these folks offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more, at which time I'll buy several packages of the larger amounts for the 25# batch. It figures out to 43 g. per lb. of meat.

I certainly wish I could duplicate this, but I can't. It's the only prepackaged sausage spice mix that I do buy though.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sun Sep 21, 2014 01:33

I mix all my own spice mixes. I want to know what I put on or in my food. I use a lot of herbs and spices. I tend to buy whole spices in small amounts and grind them myself. I store the mixes in air tight containers. I do not add the salt or cure until I make the sausage etc. I go about it this way because I have found that some of the mixes go well in casseroles etc. I use some of them on food that I am going to pan fry, bake or grill. My brat mix (main difference from the book is that I use allspice rather than mace) gets used on grilled chicken thighs and pork. My chili mix works in sausages (add vinegar for a chorizo) on steaks, chicken and pork. It does not go so well on lamb.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 02:07

Rick wrote:Darwin, my maple breakfast sausage mix is from www.psseasoning.com It is #274. I do add slightly less than 1 Tbls. of cayenne pepper to a 10# batch, which is just the right amount of heat for my family. Which I guess you could say is my 'signature' touch.
I have to say this is the bees knees for maple tasting breakfast sausage. I've priced out the dried granule maple and its pretty expensive just to purchase alone. I know at times during the year these folks offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more, at which time I'll buy several packages of the larger amounts for the 25# batch. It figures out to 43 g. per lb. of meat.

I certainly wish I could duplicate this, but I can't. It's the only prepackaged sausage spice mix that I do buy though.
Thanks Rick, I am saving the link and surfing the site during commercials. (LSU is trying to play football) Looks like lots of good items. :wink:
One of the local stores, Trader Joe's has natural Maple sugar that is really nice and natural tasting. We have used it for backing, might be worth a try on bacon and breakfast sausage.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 05:54

I'll mix my own spices for everything but Italian sausage. I've tried mixing a ton of different recipes and nothing has ever come close to what I achieve when using PS Seasonings 260-B Italian Sausage mix. I use the 25lb. packet for 22lbs of sausage and add a bottle of cold red wine and some fresh garlic, about a knob. There's no shame in using a pre-mix that's superior to what I can do myself, and it makes the same perfect flavor every time. There's a lot to be said for repeatability. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 15:25

Thank you for the comments Ray. I'm not an Italian sausage lover, as I'm not a big fennel fan, but yours sounds pretty good with the addition of the wine and garlic! I might give it a try, what kind of red wine do you add?

So it sounds as though the prepackaged spices make a good starting base where the final added touches can be made for an outstanding end result.

It would be kind of nice if we had a list of commercial packaged spices that have been tried and highly recommended. I know PS Seasonings isn't the only company offering such packages as there are probably hundreds to choose from, some really good and some not so good. Shoot, by the time I invest in some Pensey spices, I've probably got more cost into spices than had I bought a premix.

A lot of them I can't speak on, but the maple breakfast sausage is the best, well even an old cowboy when tasting this one would surely think he was having breakfast at the Long Branch with Miss Kitty!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Sep 21, 2014 18:30

Rick wrote: I might give it a try, what kind of red wine do you add?!
I usually go with a $7 - $8 bottle of cab or zinfandel, nothing fancy but not two-buck Chuck either. I don't like the idea of putting a wine into sausage that I wouldn't want to drink.

I make a maple-apple breakfast sausage that we've come to really like for breakfast, having it this morning. There's a lot of brown sugar and some Mapliene in the recipe which causes the patties to char when fried in a pan, much like the Son's of Bees bacon I make. I've taken to grilling the sausage patties on my weber and then shrink-wrapping and freezing them. A quick thaw in the sink and a minute in the micro, ready to eat. The bacon cooks up real nice on a George Foreman grill without charring too much. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”