Garlic, the spice of Life!

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Garlic, the spice of Life!

Post by Rick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 17:12

Just wanted to run a brief unscientific poll here if I may. How many folks use a dried granulated garlic vs. fresh chopped garlic when called for in a recipe?

When you want the garlic to stand at attention and making its presence known, in something like Garlic Kielbasa or Garlic Bologna, how many cloves of the fresh would you have to use for say a 10# batch of sausage?

I was always under the impression that the dried granulated garlic was used in amounts of 1/3rd of what would be used as fresh, due to the granulated being so much stronger.

I guess I've always used the granulated out of convenience of not having to peel and chop all those cloves.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Sep 21, 2014 17:56

Rick,

It's by far the best to weight the amount you use, because they have different strength.
Also much difference in size, think about "regular", or elephant.....
In fresh sausages I like fresh garlic, but in dried sausages I use 1/3 of fresh.
I grow my own garlic too, I do it for fun, (mostly).
All my friends have different taste too.
Joe the gardener....I mean Joe the Jack of everything, master of nothing..... :mrgreen:

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 18:21

I prefer to use fresh garlic in sausages and when cooking sauces. I do use the dried for rubs and such.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 22:13

Gulyás, thanks for the tip on weight. Perhaps you can recommend the amount of garlic by weight that you'd add to a 10# batch of fresh kielbasa? I'm not afraid of garlic, in fact I don't believe you can over garlic anything! So a starting point by weight would be great!

As for raising garlic, I have in the past which will be planting time soon. I believe hard neck was the type and music was one of the varieties if I recall correctly. The hotter the better.

Unfortunately, one has to order the seed garlic in like February in order to get on the list for October planting. Somehow I always forget to order on time.

Regards,Rick
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 22:38

I love fresh garlic in my sausage ,(wine/garlic/provolone).My wife has a clove stripping press which takes off the skin and minces the clove for a no hassle clove.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Sep 22, 2014 01:37

Rick,

If you like it garlicky, start with 15 grams to 10# batch. I like more in it, about 3x as much.
After mixing, fry a small piece to taste it.

Some of my garlic is music, I think it's mild flavor.

I get seeds from here....http://www.copperkfarm.com/e-commerce-s ... log.1.html

...........and this is how you peel them..... :mrgreen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt19zHQOVig
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Sep 22, 2014 06:47

Here in North America and in Central and Northern Europe, now is the time to enjoy and savour the flavours of locally grown garlic. Last month I got a bunch grown by by my folks in Saskatchewan. This year's crop was a bit smaller than in previous years, but it packed with a wallop of essence of what this wondrous plant is all about. Since then, then I also received a few heads from friends in Saskatchewan, Alberta, interior of BC as well as garlic grown in Tofino and Cortes Island. It's like tasting wine, no two are the same. And as far as the robustness of flavour and how much to add to your sausage, well you have to to experiment. Start by the amounts in the recipes gathered by Marianski and if you want more or less, then adjust. I have always tried to avoid Chinese garlic, but on a couple of occassions there was nothing else available, and I discovered that I had to use four to five times the amount that I used with most local garlic, and the taste was still not the same. I t lacked that zing, was more bitter and mundane.

This is the season to celebrate garlic and make the the best of it while it's still fresh and bursting with goodness. And you will be not only healthy but there won't be a vampire within kilometres from you. :lol:
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:27

We are 3-4 months away from local new season garlic. Cannot wait for it. The first time I grew garlic, 2 years ago it got massacred by black aphids. Getting a veggie plot going again is one of the things I most look forward to starting again after my house is sorted. I grow the odd thing in pots.

Would be interested in what Jan has to say. Under his encouragement I now use 21g per kg (2.2lbs) in my Csabaii. This is not a maximum it is just how it has ended up. I have found that the burst per g of dried garlic is consistent. Where as fresh garlic varies. That is why it is always a good idea to fry up a small amount of sausage mix before you stuff the sausage. In the case of smoked sausage it gives a vague idea only.

For a subtle flavour why not try roasted garlic in a lamb sausage. Yes I know, for those that don't know I am on a quest for the ultimate smoked lamb sausage.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:07

How much garlic we use also depends on how much other spices we use. Like if we use more salt/hot paprika, we also have to increase the garlic, to keep it in balance. I like my sausages very garlicky, that's why I make my "old-time-farmers" sausages. In my sausages, garlic is the dominant flavor. Kielbasa is much milder than my favorite. Kielbasa has almost as much marjoram in it, than garlic.

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:23

Great looking sausages Gulyas. By 10# do you mean 10 pounds?
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:26

What about garlic paste?
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30

Yes Mark, Rick used the 10#, so I used it too. 10# is 10 lb.
Garlic paste is milder, (not as harsh), also stronger, because some water is evaporated.
Last edited by Gulyás on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:33

Thanks
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 16:35

I like my sausages very garlicky, that's why I make my "old-time-farmers" sausages.
Guly'as I know you gave the recipe before and I lost it. Can you please give it again. I love garlic also. I have in the past used granulated garlic, as it says on the bottle. Maybe not, huh.
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Mon Sep 22, 2014 19:12

Try this!!!

Separate & peel several heads of garlic.
Spread out on smoker racks, put in smoker and cold smoke them for a minimum of 4 hrs for starters. Your next batch might need more or less depending on your personal tastes.

You can also hot smoke it for use as a spread on your bread or grilled toast to accompany any repast. Versatility is the key here. Only your imagination will limit use!!!!

Put whatever number of cloves that you wish into bags and vac seal them, and hide them from yourself for as long as you can resist the urge, for the smoke flavour to permeate the cloves. I managed to get a week and a half before I could no longer resist the urge to try it. Boy did they get a lickin' in short order!!! I did, however, find that the longer it stayed sealed up, the more mellow the flavour. I used a combination of maple and cherry, but I think that any wood would make a satisfactory product, depending on your individual preference.
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."