Ham Problems

trucktramp
Beginner
Beginner

Ham Problems

Post by trucktramp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 06:39

Recently, I cured a ham for my sister using Chuckwagon's brine/injection method. It is a whole ham that after I finished in smoke I cut into 2 portions (butt and shank). She cooked one piece and it was fine. The other piece she noticed a black spot in the meat. It's not near the bone so I don't think it would be bone sour. Any ideas what this is? Is the ham safe to eat. I suggested she cut the black section out but now I'm having second thoughts about the safety of eating the meat.
I believe in moderation in everything...including moderation
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 18, 2014 17:49

Hi Truckcamp,

Too bad bad about the ham, I know that it is not a good feeling when you do something for another person and there is something wrong with it. I think you are correct in ruling out "ham sour" since that produces a grey or yellowish mass near the bone and smells really bad! If you have a pic of the black spot, please post and we can better assess the problem. But I can think of a few causes:

The first is improper slaughter and bleeding of the animal and possibly the use of unclean equipment and instruments during the slaughter and carcass breakdown processes. The black spot may be a blood clot or bruise;

The second thing that comes to mind is injecting with a brine with ingredients that have not been fully dissolved. A brine has to be clear, cold and not cloudy;

And the third possible reason might be from injection equipment that may not have been cleaned thoroughly after a previous session, or is corroded, especially if used with ascorbic acids.

So I'm hesitant to advise what you should do with the meat. If it is only one isolated spot, has no odour and the rest of the leg looks perfect and tastes fine, I would cut it out and eat it, but if there are other spots and other changes in the meat colour, I would toss it.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Dec 20, 2014 13:19

The black spots happened to me once using a Pork Loin. At the time I pumped it with brine, everything seemed the same as before (cold temperature, cleanliness etc)

I never figured out what went wrong, and it has never happened again. The only difference in my case was the meat was bought at a different store to where I usually buy.
Ron
trucktramp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by trucktramp » Mon Dec 22, 2014 09:32

I bought the ham from an established butcher...but I suppose something could have gone wrong on his end. I guess we will see if it is a recurring problem as I am going to thaw a ham I made for myself and a friend that I cured a couple hams for is going to thaw one of his. Christmas dinner may be great...or a bust. Time will tell.

My sister said that what she trimmed off was very tasty so something went right. She sent me pics but they are too close to see anything.
I believe in moderation in everything...including moderation