collagen casings

inishta

collagen casings

Post by inishta » Wed Jan 28, 2015 19:11

In my naiveté, being far away from sausage casings I ordered collagen casings from the foremost supplier in the UK. Being a total novice I imagined that it offered the best solution without complication. I have subsequently found that it is not possible to link sausages in collagen casings, not a major problem, but every sausage that I have cooked........poached, grilled or fried, the skins have split. It has not been an issue as the sausage has held up really well under cooking and I am really pleased with the progress to date. I can't imagine that this is normal for collagen casings so are there any ideas as to where I am going wrong?

:cool:
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jan 29, 2015 08:00

Hello inishta,

Looks like you are learning by trial and error, but getting the right experience! There are so many different collagen casings and manufacturers, that is almost impossible to determine why some of your sausages are failing. More than likely you got the type for fresh sausages which are always thinner and therefore weaker. And they really can't take extreme temperature like the ones that are sold for smoking and extended poaching. And then there is the preparation. Some you need to soak (and I once saw one where it had to be soaked in a salt solution), and others, like those that come in those accordion tubes, can be stuffed without soaking.

Collagen casings also have a determined shelf life and need to be stored in a cool and dry environment. If not stored properly or old , there is a good change they will fail. But since you just got yours, that should not be the cause.

Sorry that I can't help you out, but what I would do is try and find out exactly what type of sausages those casings were designed for.
inishta

Post by inishta » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:58

Hi redzed.......thanks for the reply. I bought both 28mm and 30 mm casings of the accordion tube type. They were bought for fresh sausage as I wanted to get a rudimentary knowledge before spreading my wings, as it were. I contacted the supplier.....a very respected company..... and the only answer that they came up with was too much heat. I suspect that your assumption about them being weaker is on the money. At least it reassures me that the making of the sausage is fine. I intend to get some natural casings on my next UK visit in May and can compare the attributes for both then. I must say that with my limited experience to date natural seems to be the way to go. More research required.

Inishta

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Feb 03, 2015 16:49

Try adding a little more liquid in your mince before stuffing and not stuffing so tightly. The moisture will come out and will give you a little buffer when they heat and expand. Sometimes you can stuff too tightly and when the fat and meat starts to heat they expand more than the casing can take and they burst. On the other hand, stuffing to lightly will pose a problem as well with a poor appearance but experimenting from these two extremes will give you an idea of the proper firmness you need to have.

Not saying this is your problem but it may very well be. I've been there myself and this is how I addressed the problem.
Pete
User
User

Re: collagen casings

Post by Pete » Wed Feb 04, 2015 05:21

inishta wrote:In my naiveté, being far away from sausage casings I ordered collagen casings from the foremost supplier in the UK. Being a total novice I imagined that it offered the best solution without complication. I have subsequently found that it is not possible to link sausages in collagen casings, not a major problem, but every sausage that I have cooked........poached, grilled or fried, the skins have split. It has not been an issue as the sausage has held up really well under cooking and I am really pleased with the progress to date. I can't imagine that this is normal for collagen casings so are there any ideas as to where I am going wrong?

Not sure why you can't link them inishta, I have made and linked fresh sausages in "accordioned" looking dry collagen skins and for over 10 yrs.

Give them a day in the cool room, they are always fine and never have splitting problems.

I believe a lot of tomato in a fresh sausage will make the skin susceptible to splitting when cooked and that has been my experience many years ago. I stopped using tomato in suas. for that reason back then.

My collagen skins last for several years unrefrig. here, very hardy reliable casing IME.