Karkowka

mj05

Karkowka

Post by mj05 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 20:19

Can anybody explain what cut of meat "karkowka" (polish spelling "karkówka") is?
I spoke with butcher at my local supermarket and he referred me to "Boston butt", however I don`t think it is the same cut as I used to buy in Poland.
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Fri Feb 13, 2015 20:45

Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Feb 13, 2015 21:31

Mj-
In the US it is known as "pork butt" or "Boston Butt" so your butcher was correct.

Welcome to the Forum!!
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Fri Feb 13, 2015 21:38

In the picture I showed Polish cut karkowka
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
redzed

Re: Karkowka

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 16, 2015 07:02

mj05 wrote:Can anybody explain what cut of meat "karkowka" (polish spelling "karkówka") is?
I spoke with butcher at my local supermarket and he referred me to "Boston butt", however I don`t think it is the same cut as I used to buy in Poland.
Witaj mj05,

Your butcher and Bob are for the most part correct, but you are also partially correct that it's not quite the same cut. You will note from the diagram provided by Maxell that in Poland the shoulder is separated between the 4th and 5th rib. In North America the separation is between the 2nd and 3rd rib. (see diagram below). So the Polish karkówka is a bit longer. The Italians love the coppa cut and cut off the shoulder after the 5th rib. That is why when we cut out the coppa from a pork butt, it is so much shorter and smaller than the real Italian coppa. :lol: