Boudin Split Casings

Ohio Cajun

Boudin Split Casings

Post by Ohio Cajun » Mon Nov 09, 2015 18:57

I am a beginner boudin maker and have made 2 large batches. I am about to make a large batch and my last 2 batches have been good except for my casing splitting on me when I cook it. When using rice is it best to stuff the rice and meat mixture at room temperature or if its cold. I have a feeling the rice is causing it to expand and split but I could be wrong. Any suggestion on what the best casing is to use and what temperature to have the meat and rice mixture when stuffing? Thanks for any feedback.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Nov 10, 2015 00:46

I've never had trouble with mine splitting. I stuff once everything is cool enough to handle. It could be you are just stuffing too tightly.

My process is something like this.

Add spices to water and add chunked pork and boil till done and just before its finished cooking toss green onions in the pot and give a quick cook. Remove all and drain.

Using spicy broth water cook rice and reserve the unused broth.

Grind the cooked pork pieces and green onion through course plate.

When rice is fully cooked and cooled, season the meat with more spice mix and mix well adding spices as needed and more broth till consistency is to your liking.

Stuff in casings or eat as is.

If your process is similar then I would guess its either you are stuffing too tightly or you have bad casings. Hope this helps.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 05:09

How well is your rice cooked? If it isn't cooked completely, you could get some expansion, but probably not enough to split the casings.

What type of casings are you using, and how do you prep them prior to stuffing?

Like Butterbean, I'm leaning towards over stuffing, but casings that haven't been thoroughly rinsed can be a bit weak when cooked over heat or when simmered.

Like above, once my mix is easily handled with my bare hands, I begin to stuff.