Which Salami's suggested for a newbie?

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jun 25, 2016 18:48

John-
After fermenting I have never checked the Ph, so I can't help you there. Don't worry about the white or green mold. You should drop the humidity level down to 80-82%, and that will also help curb the mold growth
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Jun 25, 2016 23:19

I just pulled 2 bresaola's. The casings were white. When I pulled the casings, under the casing attached to the meat within some small crevices where the strings were had some green buildup. I scraped it with a knife and vacuum packed them. I'm atill alive.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 26, 2016 05:50

John, the green mould is probably OK. But no one can you a concrete answer unless the mould is is put under a microscope and identified. I put up with green/blue moulds, but I don't like them. Since you only started operating your curing chamber recently, you are getting all kinds of wild moulds on your sausages. That is perfectly normal. By inoculating your sausages with Penicillium nalgiovense, it will eventually assert itself in your chamber and being an aggressive genus it will prevent other strains from growing on your sausages. Leave it be or if it bothers you wipe it off, but do not toss!
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Sun Jun 26, 2016 16:36

Would you respray with mold 600? Would this help the mold 600 gain a upper hand?
I wash down with a vinegar and water solution followed by a spray and wipe down with star san.I use star san in beer making.

John
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Jun 27, 2016 18:34

Spraying mold 600 would certainly help with white mold growth. Did you use it already during or after fermenting?
Star San is used to disinfect equipment, did you use it on the chubs?
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jun 29, 2016 04:14

John, if you are going to use vinegar, then carefully remove the unwanted mould bu scraping it off the casing with knife and the wipe that spot with a cloth dipped in vinegar. If you want to remove all the mould and respray, wash the chubs in salt water, dry and then respray. if you do that with vinegar nothing will grow on the salami. And don't even think about Star San. It is a blend of phosphoric acid and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid. It's basically a detergent, and you don't want it on your meat.

And as far as the mould, I would leave it because the it is most beneficial to the sausage during the first 2-3 weeks in the chamber.
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu Jun 30, 2016 02:12

I sprayed the soppressa 24 hours after the beginning of fermentation.

I used the star san on the interior of the fermenter and the cureing chamber. I dryed them down after 3 minutes contact time.

I have since double checked the fermenter control against a lab grade thermometer and found that the temperature was actually low by 1-2 degrees. I imagine this is what slowed down the acidification. I probably should have raized the temprature a couple of degrees.

John
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu Jun 30, 2016 02:30

I can't believe that a person can test there units and the controlers for a week and everything is running fine but the minute you put product in the units something is going to go wrong. :sad:

John
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jun 30, 2016 15:29

Hi John,

One or two degrees probably did not make too much difference, if it it did, then it might have been for the better. Slower, longer fermentation results in better flavour. Each curing chamber is different so it will take a few batches of product for you to learn it's nuances and make necessary adjustments. The chamber will definitely perform differently when full than during a test run when running empty. Fun hobby isn't it?
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu Jun 30, 2016 21:58

I started making sausage back in 1968.I purchased my first book (great sausage recipes) from Haught butcher supply. I still buy from this company. I give most of it away to my kids. We made 170 lbs. of beer sticks and 50 lbs. of summer sausage in one session this year. Thank heavens for the 30 lb. stuffer and the 100 lb smoker.I still hope to master dry cured products.

John
jjnurk
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by jjnurk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 16:55

I plan on making my first batch of fermented and dried sausages in the upcoming week, so instead of screwing everything up thought I would get some feed back. Was thinking of a few small batches of soppressata, genoa, calabrese and possibly some saucisson sec. The starter culture that I currently have is Bitec LM-1, which was recommended to me for soppressata, before I got onto the forum.

(1) can I use that culture for all the fermented sausages listed above?
(2) can I put all sausages at the same time into the curing chamber, once the fementation is done, of course?
(3) I have some 600 mold showing up as well, can I use that on all the products / should I use that on all the products?
JjNUrK
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Oct 27, 2018 19:16

Bitec LM-1 is a starter culture developed for use in traditional Italian style salami, so it will definitely work with all the sausages you want to make. The culture is manufactured in Germany by Gewürzmüller, now owned by the Israeli multinational Fruitarom. I tried it on several products and was very satisfied. The culture is composed of Lactobacillus curvatus and Kocuria salsicia. L. Curvatus occurs naturally in southern European products and is a good acidifying bacteria. Not all strains of L. Curvatus metabolize sucrose, but LM-1 does, so I would recommend that you add 2g of dextrose and one or 2g of sucrose to 1kg of meat block. Ferment at 18-20° until you have a pH drop to 5.3-5.2. If the pH drops to less than 5, use less sugars next time.

Unlike most other starter cultures, LM-1 contains a Kocuria strain rather than one of the Staphylococcus (carnosus, xylosus). Kocuria is also an antioxidant and works in developing flavour and aroma compounds. It is considered better as a nitrate reductase, which in turn is responsible for the characteristic red colour of fermented sausages. Like Staphylococcus, Kocuria does not do well in a low pH environment, and is less salt tolerant.

All your products can hang in the same chamber of course, but if you are making them all at once, and will be loading a large volume, you will have high humidity in the chamber for several days before it stabilizes. If that is the case, additional venting and/or a dehumidifier will be necessary.

Until the P. nalgiovense is well established in your curing chamber, be generous in spraying all the sausages with the Bactoferm-600 starter, and give the inside of your chamber a few squirts too.