I'm a newbie...... Just a question?

xúc xích

I'm a newbie...... Just a question?

Post by xúc xích » Sun Jul 24, 2016 21:13

I've been smoking , and baking my Kransky..... Carniolan sausage (Slovene: kranjska klobasa; Australian English: Kransky, German: Krainer Wurst, Southern African English: Russian, Italian dialect of Trieste: luganighe de Cragno)........ Whatever the name.... They are good.
But, I'm getting a better result, keeping everything cold, ice water, etc.. Then poaching .
The last few times, I've been smoking them for 3 hours(With no heat), with Guava wood, until reddy, brown color.
I live at 15.5 degrees N, and the daily temp is 33c-36c(91F to 96.8F)..... So after 3 hours in the smoker they come out at 44c (111.2F) internal temp.
I then poach them in 90c (194F) water, until internal temp hits 68c (154F)....
They are awesome...... We are selling 15-20 Kg a week

Wait for it, here comes the question!!!

Can I use the beautiful smoky poaching water, in my next batch of Kransky.. IE: Adding icy smoky water, into the fresh batch? or am I cross contaminating, or it's something, you shouldn't do?

I'm thinking, this is a 'Yes' or 'No' question.
Many thanks, for all your past help.
Greg
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jul 25, 2016 02:16

My thought would be no since you could be carrying the old meat juices back to the new and this wouldn't be good.

It sounds like you are after liquid smoke to add extra to your sausages. If that is the case then why not capture the smoke before it leaves your smokehouse and make your own liquid smoke? Simple enough to do and you'd be free of any chance of cross contamination.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 03:45

Butterbean wrote: If that is the case then why not capture the smoke before it leaves your smokehouse and make your own liquid smoke? Simple enough to do .
Curiosity has got the better of me .........

Any chance of enlighten me on this ..... thanks in advance
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Jul 27, 2016 00:37

Several ways to do it but here is youtube video showing how to condense the water vapor from your smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxJtjg6PvSw
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 04:46

Butterbean wrote:Several ways to do it but here is youtube video showing how to condense the water vapor from your smoke.

Thanks for that ... will try but doubt very much if it will work for me as no heat when I cold smoke :(
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Jul 28, 2016 00:40

BriCan wrote:
Butterbean wrote:Several ways to do it but here is youtube video showing how to condense the water vapor from your smoke.

Thanks for that ... will try but doubt very much if it will work for me as no heat when I cold smoke :(
Personally I think it would be more trouble than it'd be worth given how cheap liquid smoke is and the fact I rarely use it. All you'd need is a temperature gradient for condensation but with your cooler temps you are working with I would think you could rig a metal condensation tube similar to what you'd use in spirit distillation but only run the smoke through the worm rather than the steam. If this were set up outside your smokehouse I would think there would be enough temperature difference for condensation to occur and you'd have a steady stream of liquid smoke coming out the worm.

A much simpler way would be to make a tea out of some of the charred pieces of wood. Once you brew your tea you can reduce it to the flavor you want. This product is sometimes used when you cutting whiskey if you want to mimic the flavor you get from aging in charred barrels. Or so I was told.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jul 28, 2016 00:56

Butterbean wrote:This product is sometimes used when you cutting whiskey if you want to mimic the flavor you get from aging in charred barrels. Or so I was told.
:wink: :grin:
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jul 28, 2016 06:57

xúc xích wrote:Wait for it, here comes the question!!!

Can I use the beautiful smoky poaching water, in my next batch of Kransky.. IE: Adding icy smoky water, into the fresh batch? or am I cross contaminating, or it's something, you shouldn't do?
Actually I see no reason why you can't use the poaching water in your next batch of sausage. Many Polish sausage recipes ask for broth in the sausage rather than ice cold water. To be sure that there are no nasties in the water, bring it to a boil after you have removed the sausages, and chill in the fridge before adding to the farce.
Webpoppy8

Post by Webpoppy8 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 01:10

Care to share your recipe? I've got mine fairly close, but it's dirt simple.

Masterbuilt Electric 30" Smoker
Cold-smoker attachment.
Slow learner...
Mesquite and Meerschaum!