Brine cure issue

Berefood

Brine cure issue

Post by Berefood » Mon Mar 06, 2017 15:09

I know this is an old and very debated subject but I'm just confused. I tried very hard to understand the formulas and thoughts of the experts. I get the general concept safety.

So can someone just tell me a brine I can use for pork butt and bacon. One that I can inject and place in the remaining brine to equalize. Weight of meat, plus weight of water, nitrite 156 ppm? Can you use the calculator and just add the weight of water to get a correct nitrite level? And then there's the salinity of the water. Thanks Tom

PS: I have lots of books on the subject.

Here's an example of what confuses me with the experts: This is a Mr. Pioli recipe but every little 2 quarts of water, 3 tablespoons of cure#1, and only 48 hours in brine, 12 rest then smoke. 8 pounds meatDoesn't sound correct from all I read but he's and expert.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Mar 06, 2017 20:23

Hey Tom-
The bottom line is it is always difficult to say what the correct amount is with brining as one can only guess on the uptake amounts. It is difficult at times even for the experienced....

I have nothing against brining!!!

However it is fairly simple to be 100% consistent with equilibrium curing. You just-
weigh the meat
add appropriate cure amount
add salt desired
Bag and refrigerate. Never too much, never too little.
Berefood

Post by Berefood » Mon Mar 06, 2017 20:34

Thanks Bob K that's what I do now for smaller pieces of meat by that I mean less than 2 or 3 inches thick.

How would this work out if I were doing a whole Boston butt? Same way? I don't do wet brining but I would like to know how to do it. Just of something like a butt.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Mar 06, 2017 20:53

No problem at all. For the larger cuts just cure for 2-3 weeks. I do butts and loins on a regular basis.
For butts calculate 156ppm cure ( up to 200ppm is allowed)
and for bacon 120ppm.
For salt I use 2.5%
Berefood

Post by Berefood » Mon Mar 06, 2017 22:01

Great didn't know that. Three weeks is a long time cure #2 or just #1. Any fluid add at all just to be cure around?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Mar 06, 2017 23:20

Tom-
No, 3 weeks is not a long time for cure #1, as long as it is all refrigerated. Check the expiration date on corned beef or bacon at the market....

No fluid just salt, cure, and spices.

Coppa spiced Loin. The salt will draw out some liquid, no problem do not drain.

Berefood

Post by Berefood » Mon Mar 06, 2017 23:40

Fantastic Bob can't wait to try this. Right now I'm in the process of making hotdogs via Idakrauts recipe. I had plenty of good dogs with natural casing to pick from in CT. In SC they look at you like you have two heads when asking about natural casings.

Calling all other members any input about brining? I don't think Bob would mind you commenting even if you don't agree with him. The more input the better. Thanks Tom
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Mar 06, 2017 23:49

That Butterbean guy has a lot of experience with brines :mrgreen: I am sure others will comment also!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Mar 07, 2017 00:51

Bob K wrote:That Butterbean guy has a lot of experience with brines :mrgreen: I am sure others will comment also!
I'm no expert but I can offer some advice which can help you in the long run if you choose to follow it.

Brining is confusing when you start figuring the cure amounts and all that sort of thing because like Poli suggests you are adding a higher rate of cure than you might think you need but this is all being diluted in the solution and only a small amount of the solution ever enters the meat. So rather than trying to figure all that stuff out just follow the directions on your cure and stay within the recommended amount of cure per gallon of brine and you should be fine. The Cure 1 I use suggests 3 ounces per gallon and I'm sure they had to jump through all sorts of gov't hoops to be able to label it as such so the point is mute IMHO.

The other confusing thing with brining is the vast array of brine concentrations you can use. You'll see all sorts of different procedures and recipes all calling for different brine solution and different brine times and this gets extremely confusing because just when you think you have it nailed you see an intriguing recipe that calls for something completely different and your brain gets all muddled - or at least mine does.

To make it simple the best thing you can do is follow the cure amount they recommend AND choose a brine strength you like and use it every time - or most every time. Doing it this way, you will learn what that brine strength will do and how long it takes to cure the meat. With a constant brine strength you can make any recipe you want just by adjusting the spices and by using a consistent brine strength you will know how long to brine any cut of meat based on its thickness. Keeping in mind that once your time is up you always need to rinse the meat and then let it rest to equalize. This equalization is extremely important because the amount of salt will be extremely heavy on the outer layer of meat and it takes time to get full penetration otherwise you will be left with those cursed half dollar spots in the center of the meat so be patient.

I can't tell you the best brine strength to use but just find one you like and stick with it and I think you will find that the brine time of bacon will be 60% of what it takes to cure a boston butt and 42% what it takes to cure a whole ham but always be patient and let it equalize - I harp on this because this has been a flaw of mine till I finally learned better. Also, if you decide to inject thicker meats, I always dilute the brine by half and plan on a day less cure time.

I think if you play around with a constant brine strength your life will be so much easier. And remember, just because you put nitrite in the brine it reacts with the meat so your finished product will have less nitrite in it than most meats sold as nitrite free.

Hope this makes sense.