HELP - how do I prevent the fat from rendering out

airbrush
User
User

HELP - how do I prevent the fat from rendering out

Post by airbrush » Mon Mar 27, 2017 20:39

how do I prevent the fat from rendering out of my homemade bologna. Last two chubs the fat (and water?) rendered out of the meat and left a watery fat layer just under the casing. The bologna is very tasty but the texture stinks.
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 20:44

Sounds like it's getting too hot. What is your cooking procedure and temps?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 01:24

How did you make your emulsion? sounds like it wasn't right? maybe took it up too hot. Usually cooking in the tank just splits the casing, Never had the fat come out of a proper emulsion before?
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Tue Mar 28, 2017 13:22

OK, so I made my meat and spice mix and mixed to a sticky consistency. It seemed like it was thoroughly mixed but the fat still was visible in the mix.

After stuffing, I hung it for maybe two hours. Then I went to maybe 150°F smoker rack for maybe three hours and increased to 180.

When I pulled off the bologna was surrounded with liquid in the casing - I'm calling it a watery fat mix.

I see some people putting into a 170 degree bath right after stuffing - how is this any different?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 28, 2017 14:06

If you rendered fat the temperature of the sausage got to 170°. That is the temp that the fat breaks or renders. At that point the sausage will be crumbly or grainy in texture, thus your lousy texture.

You should not exceed 170° in the smoker. goal is to raise the internal temp slowly to around 152°. It is long process in the smoker and by raising the temp above 170 the outside of the chub will exceed 170° before the 152° internal temp is reached.

When the chubs are added to a 170° water bath the temp of the bath drops and a 160° temp is maintained until internal temps are reached. Poaching saves time and the sausage is moister.

Did you check the internal temp while smoking?
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Tue Mar 28, 2017 14:27

Yes, I think I exceeded 170 degrees IT when I pulled them off and, yes, I think I'll do the water poach next time to get a little more familiar with the process.

I'll probably make a small chub this week and report back on my progress.

Thanks all for the advice.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 28, 2017 14:52

I would also add if you have a food processor try emulsifying. The texture is much smoother...it is also a messy process but well worth it.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=8126
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 16:32

airbrush wrote:Yes, I think I exceeded 170 degrees IT when I pulled them off and, yes, I think I'll do the water poach next time to get a little more familiar with the process.

I'll probably make a small chub this week and report back on my progress.

Thanks all for the advice.
I don't run my smoker any higher than 150° and I don't cook to any particular IT, I just smoke until the color looks like I want to eat them. :grin:

I do my cooking in the poach...much more controllable and it is a great way to gently (and evenly!) get the heat up. Not only that, but it's pretty fast. Last time I did it I think I had my water temp around 165° and pulled the sausage at 155° IT. I kept my water below 170° because I was using my big canning pot and there's a lot of thermal mass in the water when it's hot. IMHO, poaching is the only way to fly. I'm contemplating doing it with bacon the next time I make that.
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Tue Mar 28, 2017 18:34

Once again, thanks for all the information. I now know J didn't have an emulsion and I worked at too high a temperature.
I'm learning!

Will the chub accept smoke after the poaching? Or does the smoke (if I need it) have to happen before the poach?

Thanks again!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 28, 2017 19:13

You could smoke at either time. However you can save time by raising the temp in the smoker before poaching.
After letting the casings dry in the smoker at 130° I smoke at the same temp, then poach. Don't worry the smoke flavor and aroma will still be there after poaching. :mrgreen:
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 00:58

Ah, when you said "Bologna" I assumed it was a true Bologa which is a fully emulsified product like a hot dog. Like this:

This my Bologna prior to stuffing into 90mm waterproof casings and then poaching.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Mar 29, 2017 15:30

You aren't confined to using waterproof bags when making bologna. You can use natural casings or cloth bags as well but if you poach these its better to put them in plastic before poaching but you don't have to.
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Wed Mar 29, 2017 17:26

I can case them and then wrap in plastic. Beginning of next week I'm going for it!

My wife is going crazy with me - I have capicola going, sopressatta going and now I'm going to make more bologna while I still have some left from the last batch. :grin:
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Wed Apr 05, 2017 14:14

I did the next bologna and had significant improvement. I still got a loose case (used red fibrous casings) and a little rendering, but the bologna is moist and very flavorful. A picture will follow.

I mixed more (more of emulsification) and cooled my processing temps down.

One question I have - I'm using instant non-fat dry milk. Does the "instant" make a difference?? If so, what should I be using?

Here's the recipe:
5 LBS PORK SHOULDER
5 LBS LEAN GROUND BEEF
66g Kosher Salt
85g Non Fat Dry Milk
(or 55g NFDM; 30g SoyProtein)- this is what i used
36g Dextrose
12g Cure#1
7.0g White Pepper
6.0g Paprika
4.5g Nutmeg
3.0g Garlic powder
2.0g Allspice
2.0g Coriander
1-1/2 cups Ice water

Here's a picture of the final product:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Apr 05, 2017 14:29

Looks Good!
airbrush wrote:One question I have - I'm using instant non-fat dry milk. Does the "instant" make a difference?? If so, what should I be using?
Its debatable, there was a recent discussion here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... 6823#36823