Cleaning hog middles

airbrush
User
User

Cleaning hog middles

Post by airbrush » Sat Jun 03, 2017 17:20

OK, so I'm making Soppressata and using hog middles for the casing. I soak the middles for several hours, changing the rinse water frequently and flushing the interior bunches (as in maybe 12 times or so. Then, instead of tap water I soak in distilled water and again rinse the insides with distilled water a couple times. Then I stuffed and hung.

My question is, did I have to turn the middles inside out and scrape??? Is this batch doomed? Or am I OK to finish processing?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 04, 2017 06:52

Nothing to be concerned about. In fact, the hog middles have already been scraped and turned inside out. The smooth side that you see was actually on the inside of the hog intestine before processing for casings. Sometimes there may me excessive fat or tissue in the casings, and you can use a dull knife to remove the excess. But I would not fret in any way and leave the casings as is. The bit of of fat that there is inside the hog middle will add a flavour note to your salami and will slow down drying. Your previous products that you displayed looked pretty darned nice, So no need for concern here.
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:13

Thanks so much for the response. I'm relieved now. I got adventurous and made 10 pounds and would have hated to waste. Now the wait!! :mrgreen:
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Sun Jun 04, 2017 14:04

In the drying chamber for the long wait.Image