Problem with salt

Post Reply
martin
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 01:30
Location: New England

Problem with salt

Post by martin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 22:48

Hi
I have little problem with salt weight, meny recipe call 17 gram per 1 kg , and problem is i like to use crystal dimond kosher salt , witch 17 g is almost 2 tbsp ,kosher salt is 10gram and table salt is 20 gram for 1 tbsp in my scale , uncle google said kosher salt 17 g per one tbsp so I little confused witch salt to use and how much per 1 kg .
So is 20 gram kosher salt ( 2tbsp) gona be same salty like 1 tbsp table salt
What salt you guys are using for making sausages and how meny gram per 1 kg
User avatar
Bob K
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:16
Location: Northwest Ct

Post by Bob K » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:33

With salt volume measurements are not accurate. Always use weight. Think of the question, what weighs more a pound of feathers or lead? 10 grams of kosher salt has the same "saltiness" as 10 grams diamond crystal....no matter what the volume.


Salt Type Weight of 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) in grams

Morton`s Table Salt 76.0
Morton Pickling Salt 74.0
La Baleine Coarse Sea Salt 66.8
La Baleine Fine Sea Salt 64.8
Morton`s Kosher Salt 62.0
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt 45.2
martin
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 01:30
Location: New England

Post by martin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 01:47

Thanks Bob
I made couple of sausages and when i use 20 g per kilo regular table , in my opinion was little bit mor salty then i use 20 g crystal kosher , but i dont know , so I think just stick with one salt and that's all , previous i used table , himalaian , sea salt an kosher
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 15:28
Location: Fulshear, TX

Re: Problem with salt

Post by Sleebus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 15:28

martin wrote:What salt you guys are using for making sausages and how meny gram per 1 kg
I never measure salt by volume, I always do it by weight, that way I can calculate the salt percentage of the recipe. After doing many recipes, I have an idea of what salt level that I look for. 20g of salt is always 20g of salt, no matter the type. I would avoid using iodized table salt as that can contribute a metallic flavor.

For me, the bottom edge of salt is 1.4%. Any less salty than that and the sausage starts tasting more like ground meat rather than sausage. The upper limit is 1.8%. Above that the salt starts to dominate the flavor profile and you start to lose the flavor of the meat. I have had sausage at 2.0% and it was fine, but not something I'd strive to make. I usually am around 1.7% and I get good results with that. I see you were using 20g/Kg and yep that will be salty as that is at 2.0%. Your original 17g/kg is (in my opinion) a good rate to use.

Keep in mind that Cure #1 and #2 add an additional, non-trivial, amount of salt. USA Cure #1 will add 0.23% to your overall salt level. So if your recipe is at 1.7% for fresh sausage, it will end up at 1.93% if you cure it for smoking and it may end up cracking 2.0% after the smoking process is done due to the drying of the meat during smoking. I reduce my salt by 0.23% when adapting a fresh sausage for smoking.

So, always weigh your salt, (heck, measure ALL your ingredients by weight!) that way no matter what salt you use, you'll get the same results.
martin
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 01:30
Location: New England

Post by martin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 22:19

Thanx Sleebus
So from now I try to add 15 gram kosher salt per 1 kg plus 2 gram insta cure 1
Post Reply