Second Grind or not

PaulK

Second Grind or not

Post by PaulK » Tue Sep 05, 2017 14:02

I'm a newbie and watches many of tutorials in Youtube. There are 2 common methods I learned to far.

1. Cut into cubes --> let them sit a fridge for 2 hours --> first grind --> mix seasoning thoroughly by hand --> second grind --> have them in rest in a fridge over night --> stuff into casing

2. Cut into cubes --> let them sit a fridge for 2 hours --> mix seasoning thoroughly by hand --> first grind -->have them in rest in a fridge over night --> stuff into casing

I have tried a first way ended up with dissatisfied results. It may be about temperature during the process. Now I'm interesting in doing the second method (mix them before first grind). My question is - Do I need to do a second grind for this second method? Is it ok for first grind --> let them rest overnight --> do stuffing?

Thank you
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Sep 05, 2017 14:51

By letting the ground meat rest in fridge overnight mixed with salt(cure) and spices it will stiffen and be difficult to stuff. A better method would be to stuff them after grinding and then let them rest to meld the flavors before cooking or freezing.

You can also mix the cubed meat with salt and cure and let cure in the fridge for 48 hrs, then grind, add spices, mix and then stuff.

Grinding once is just fine.
PaulK

Post by PaulK » Tue Sep 05, 2017 15:11

Bob K wrote:By letting the ground meat rest in fridge overnight mixed with salt(cure) and spices it will stiffen and be difficult to stuff. A better method would be to stuff them after grinding and then let them rest to meld the flavors before cooking or freezing.

You can also mix the cubed meat with salt and cure and let cure in the fridge for 48 hrs, then grind, add spices, mix and then stuff.

Grinding once is just fine.
Thank you very much