Question about making sausage without cure

PaulK

Question about making sausage without cure

Post by PaulK » Wed Sep 06, 2017 06:40

I want to make a sausage without using cure (Nitrate / Nitrite). After read many topics there are concern about Botulinum toxin if not use cure for Smoke sausage / ham. Some people said it is fine for fresh --> full cooked / parboil sausage sausage as long as it passed "4 hours danger zone".

My question - what does "4 hours" mean? I understand that the danger zone is when meat temperature reaches between 40 - 139 Fahrenheit which bacteria can growth and spread a lot faster. But 4 hours after what? Do I need to have them full cooked / parboil 4 hours after stuffed?

Another questuion - Botulinum is die with heat. If the meat passed those 4 hours then have them full cooked, why they are still not safe and prone for Botulinum toxin?

Thank you.
reddal
User
User

Post by reddal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:43

I think that should read "not passed 4 hours in the temperature danger zone" - ie safe as long as it hasn't been kept at too high a temperature for too long.

I think in theory fully cooking meat will kill botulism - but I don't think its safe to rely on this if its been kept at too high a temperature. ie to be safe fresh pork sausage needs to be prepared and kept at low temperature - and then also fully cooked. Some detail here - https://cooking.stackexchange.com/quest ... hen-cooked

Others may have more expert opinions on this - but personally I wouldn't advise taking any risks with this issue. I measure the temperature of the pork when I collect it, after I've transported it, and throughout the process. If at any point it spends a significant amount of time (much shorter than 4 hours) above 5c then its binned.

I read somewhere that 4 hours above 5c is the threshold where perishable food should definitely be binned and not consumed - at 2 hours above 5c it should be consumed immediately. I would lower those tollerances for fresh pork personally.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Sep 06, 2017 13:19

To add to what Redall said:
PaulK wrote:Another questuion - Botulinum is die with heat. If the meat passed those 4 hours then have them full cooked, why they are still not safe and prone for Botulinum toxin?
The botulinum toxins are killed/denatured at cooking temps of 160°f ( or lower if if the time is longer) The botulinum spores are not and require much higher that normal cooking temps to kill, so if cooked foods are kept in the danger zone the spores can produce more toxins.

Nitrites/nitrates inhibit their growth
Sleebus
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Sleebus » Wed Sep 06, 2017 14:40

I've made plenty of fresh sausages, i.e., no cure. However, they should be cooked/refrigerated/frozen immediately. The worst thing to do would be to smoke them, as that puts them in an environment where botulinum thrives. However, if you use Cure #1, then smoking is no problem.
PaulK

Post by PaulK » Wed Sep 06, 2017 16:48

Thank you very much for all answers here.
PaulK

Post by PaulK » Wed Sep 06, 2017 17:04

Bob K wrote:so if cooked foods are kept in the danger zone the spores can produce more toxins.

Nitrites/nitrates inhibit their growth
Does it mean if a full cooked sausage left in a danger zone temperature they are still prone to toxins produces by those left spores?

If yes then put cure #1 should be considered as a safest practice in making sausage? It is hard to control how customers treat with our product at their home.

Example. What if they put our sausage from the freezer --> fridge --> full cooked --> eat some of them then leave the rest in living room --> 5-6 hours passed --> come back to eat the rest.

Doesn't it seems dangerous for not putting cure to prevent this at the beginning?

Thank you
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Sep 06, 2017 20:22

PaulK wrote:Does it mean if a full cooked sausage left in a danger zone temperature they are still prone to toxins produces by those left spores?
Yes and they are also prone many other forms of harmful bacteria.
If you click on the link that Redall posted, some of them are listed.

Nitrates also break down rapidly when heated (cooked) so little remains in the cooked product.
PaulK

Post by PaulK » Wed Sep 06, 2017 20:38

Bob K wrote:
PaulK wrote:Does it mean if a full cooked sausage left in a danger zone temperature they are still prone to toxins produces by those left spores?
Yes and they are also prone many other forms of harmful bacteria.
If you click on the link that Redall posted, some of them are listed.

Nitrates also break down rapidly when heated (cooked) so little remains in the cooked product.
Thank you very much.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Sep 07, 2017 00:05

Same practice as bacon...using cure #1 allows you to cold smoke at temps of 70-90 F for hours without worrying about danger zone temp, etc.

So you can cold smoke for 4 hours or more at room temp, then par freeze, slice, and store in freezer until needed. Then you take the bacon out, fry or bake it until internal temp is above one hundred sixty F, and enjoy!

Same as the fresh sausages, cure allows you to be able to smoke at room temp without worrying about the nasties.