Bologna recpie

Laftpig
User
User

Bologna recpie

Post by Laftpig » Sat Dec 16, 2017 19:15

Hello all new to the forum. I have no experience in curing meats and hope to learn little by little until I`m not afraid to experiment. I have made fresh sausage in the past though. I don`t have much equipment, grinder, stuffer, and kitchenaid mixer. Any suggestions on necessary equipment would be appreciated.

My better half suggested I start with trying to make bologna. So anyone have a good recipe and technique for making bologna that tastes just like store bought. You know the kind that`s full of fat and bad things for you, good tasting stuff. 😀
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Dec 17, 2017 14:17

WElcome to the forum!
Since bologna is an emulsified sausage you will also need a food processor. There are some pointers and tips on emulsifying here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... mortadella , unfortunatly many of the pics are lost due to Photobucket.

There are several good Mortadella and Bologna recipes here: https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes

Good luck and any questions are welcome!

ronf

Post by ronf » Mon Jan 15, 2018 23:55

Hello Laftpig. I am new to the forum as of today. I am also new to sausage making.
If you do a google search for "home made bologna" you will find a youtube video made by Tim Farmer, who has a television show in KY. His video shows a recipe to make bologna with a few spices, and you form it in a bread pan and bake it in the oven. I have made it to his specs., but have also made it and smoked it in my smoker. It is not emulsified and has the texture more like a salami, but it does tastes like bologna. Hope this helps you to get on the right track.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Tue Jan 16, 2018 14:44

Hello and welcome to the forum Laftpig & Ronf. It's great to have you aboard, I love this place, super great folks with tons of expert knowledge.

Did a little research on food processors, as I'm looking to get a new one, with largest capacity available for home use, and making emulsions.

I landed on this model at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DFP-14 ... ssor&psc=1

It's the largest home use model available, with great reviews. One review was a kitchen chef who stated this machine was great, can handle anything with the best commercial models, even "Emulsifying".
America's Test Kitchen recommends this model (DFP-14BCNY)
There was even this quote about it being recommended by ATK

I hopes this helps anyone searching for a good food processor, I do believe I'm sold on this model.
ronf

Post by ronf » Wed Jan 17, 2018 01:57

I have the Cuisinart 9 cup model. I think I`ll give it a try at emulsifying the recipe that I told Laftpig about. ATK recommendations are usually on target. Thanks for pointing this out.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Wed Jan 17, 2018 02:00

Hey your Cuisinart 9 cup model is only 5 cups smaller, should do just as great, good luck bud.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 17, 2018 18:04

There are numerous threads on our forum about making bologna. Just use the search function. As a first run at it, you could do one using your grinder only. Just put through the 3mm plate a a couple of times, making sure that the meat is very very cold. You could also make a country bologna with a coarser grind from Marianski's recipes:
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... na-country
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21

Len Poli has a great recipe for bologna on his site, and it also makes a great hotdog. he mentions smoking at 190° which I think is to hot, but I use high barrier casings and poach mine. good luck on your project! :grin: