Boston Butt Cure

Laftpig
User
User

Boston Butt Cure

Post by Laftpig » Thu Dec 21, 2017 15:45

Can I dry cure a whole ham such as a Boston Butt or Picnic? I just saw a post by StefanS and it looks very interesting. His project is way above my talents but it appears he used dry ingredients. I then read a posting by Butterbean on his wet cure of a Sweethart Ham. That is what I want to make but don`t want to wet cure. He recommends injecting and I can understand why so my concern can a dry cure work for large meats? Thanks
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 21, 2017 15:58

Certainly, You can read about dry curing ham here: https://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-other-meats/dry

Dry cure recipe for Sweet Heart han here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... 8142#38142
Laftpig
User
User

Post by Laftpig » Thu Dec 21, 2017 16:16

It appears BobK might be using pork loins for his calculations on time. Loins would also not be as large as a ham. Bone-in make a difference? Is a 1/4" cure per thickness appropriate for determining time in your opinion? Trying to be on the safe side with this. Thanks

I`m try to make a regular ham like the ones you buy in a grocery store not country ham.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 21, 2017 16:46

Are you planning a whole ham (Rear leg) or a shoulder, butt or picnic? Picnics and butts are not that large, maybe 10-15lbs tops. Three weeks for an EQ cure would be plenty
Laftpig
User
User

Post by Laftpig » Thu Dec 21, 2017 17:01

I didn`t have a size in mind butt probably just Boston or Picnic. I though there would be some reference has to size not necessarily weight. I don`t want to guess or leave in longer than necessary. I did read lots on this and was hoping someone here could simplify it a bit but not to much. You say three weeks should be plenty for an eq cure but what about less or more for that matter. Could I use curing bacon time as an example for curing a butt time wise? Is there a correlation between thicknesses. Also that bone question. I realize the curing material are dependent on weight measurements.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 21, 2017 19:54

Hellofalata what if's there! It is sometimes difficult to mix and match recipes. As far as how long to cure it is much better to go longer if unsure, with an EQ cure it can't get too salty. How long? Check the expiration date on a corned beef (cured uncooked meat)...usually 6-8 months
If you come up with a plan, post before trying, that would narrow the variables. :grin:
Laftpig
User
User

Post by Laftpig » Fri Dec 22, 2017 21:28

Thanks BobK I got it figure out but will post when I get ready to brine to make sure nothings amiss.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Dec 23, 2017 22:42

Laftpig wrote:It appears BobK might be using pork loins for his calculations on time. Loins would also not be as large as a ham. Bone-in make a difference? Is a 1/4" cure per thickness appropriate for determining time in your opinion? Trying to be on the safe side with this. Thanks

I`m try to make a regular ham like the ones you buy in a grocery store not country ham.
If you want to make a city ham the easiest way to do it is to use a wet cure. Here is a link.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... t=city+ham

I don't understand what you are asking when you say 1/4" of cure per thickness. Thickness of the salt cure has little to do with anything. Its the contact area you have to concern yourself with. And then you need to allow the meat to equalize. Many times they say to equalize for 10 days but I think this is really too short for something like a city ham. 10 days may be fine for a dry cured ham before you hang it and smoke but while in the smoke it will still equalize until you slice it so you have to recognize what's happening and adjust to what you are doing.

In general, if you want a mild dry cure you want to allow 5 days for belly, 8 days for loins and 10 days for hams and shoulders. After this time is up you need to thoroughly wash the meat in warm water to get the salt off because you don't want the meat to keep absorbing salt. Once rinsed, dry it and at this point the cure is like a slinky toy and only the outer part of the meat will be properly cured - over-cured actually - and it will be too salty - so you need to let it equalize so the salt can even out and migrate to the thicker parts and become balanced. 10 days say most but I think another five days won't hurt.

Once you've done it this way you can adjust the timing on the cure to fit your taste but this should be close. Wet curing is much per the link is much easier for city hams.