Coppa salt

Laftpig
User
User

Coppa salt

Post by Laftpig » Fri Dec 29, 2017 19:49

Need a little advice on percentages of salt in a Coppa or other larger muscle group that will be cured. I have read many recipes using varying percentages of salt with cure #2, some with just salt. I`m not partial to a lot of salt. So far the lowest %salt was 2.5%. Is there a minimum %? Using cure #2 seems to be up in the air. I`d say more recipes/videos I`ve read/watched don`t this cure even the hams produced by some members on the site. Apparently it`s ok. For my thinking though I`ll be sticky with the cures 1 and 2 fo my projects. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also I read you can vacuum the meat and it isn`t necessary to split the cure process into two steps. Is that an ok process? My problem is getting liquid or liquid vapor into my vacuum sealer. I ruin one so far by accidentally sucking liquid in the sealer.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 29, 2017 23:26

Based on what is in professional literature on the subject, the 2.5% should be the minimum amount of salt in dried cured products. If you are using curing salt, factor that into the total, e.g. 22.5g salt and 2.5g cure #2. You can dry cure whole muscle meats without nitrites/nitrates but you might want to use a bit more salt. Salt and nitrites are two important hurdles in the hurdle technology concept.
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... ty-hurdles

Omitting nitrates may also impact colour development, flavour and aroma formed by naturally occurring nitrate reductase bacteria.

No need to use the 2 step process, in my opinion.
Laftpig
User
User

Post by Laftpig » Sat Dec 30, 2017 15:21

Redzed thanks for the info.