Natural Casing Size

Laftpig
User
User

Natural Casing Size

Post by Laftpig » Wed Jan 10, 2018 17:32

I`m in the process of making Genoa Salami. The recipe calls for 60mm casing which I don`t have at the present time. I do however have some beef bung casing about 4 inches diameter. If I use the beef bung will that ruin my project of just take longer for it to cure.

I also have several projects in the works that have varying sizes of natural casings required/suggested. I really don`t want to buy a lot of different size casings. Is there a general size that might fit a variety of projects. In my case that would be different Salami`s, pepperoni, soppressata, chorizo. Sort of the same question I asked above. I do have smaller size casings but nothing large.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jan 10, 2018 18:07

While it can be done, you are better off leaving the large diam casings like a bung until after you have gained some experience and your chamber is up to snuff. The 3" or 76mm protein lined casing is my go to for Genoa. http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7387

A good all round casing for most of the varieties you mentioned would be 55-60 Beef Middles.