Fermentation - two questions

airbrush
User
User

Fermentation - two questions

Post by airbrush » Thu Mar 01, 2018 17:21

First question: Can I accomplish the fermentation of stuffed sausages in a closed container such as a covered meat lug? Or do the sausages have to be out in the open air. Depending on recipe's, the fermentation time would be anywhere from 12 to 72 hours.

Second question: Is there any benefit (or is it permissible) to allowing the sausage to ferment BEFORE stuffing them?

Third question (Extra Credit): Where is love?
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 01, 2018 17:37

First question: Can I accomplish the fermentation of stuffed sausages in a closed container such as a covered meat lug? Or do the sausages have to be out in the open air. Depending on recipe's, the fermentation time would be anywhere from 12 to 72 hours.
Most certainly. Despite what some technical literature states that we need air movement, you can successfully ferment in a closed container. In fact for us hobbyists it is the bset way since it keeps the humidity high. I ferment in a large cooler with a pan of salt water in it.

Second question: Is there any benefit (or is it permissible) to allowing the sausage to ferment BEFORE stuffing them?
That is an absolute NO NO! At 5.3-5-2 pH the fermentation process results in a gellification of the meat which sets the sausage and has an impact on the bind and texture of the final product. If you ferment the batter and then stuff you will have a crumbly sausage poor sliceability, and more than likely air pockets which you want to avoid.

Third question (Extra Credit): Where is love?
You will know when you find it. :lol: