Protein lined casings

Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Mon Apr 16, 2018 14:34

cathouse willy wrote:When you presoaked your casings did you use chlorinated water? That will kill any mold you sprayed on.
That's a very good thought Cathouse, I always use distilled water in all my sausage making, from meat mixing to soaking casings.

I'm just a follower in this thread with not much to add, since I'm still learning. But you all seem to have exhausted all possibilities, and looks like a mystery.
My little mind is still saying bad or out dated 600, now combine with chlorinated water is the reason.
And I guessing nothing to be worried about, right?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Apr 16, 2018 14:54

Kijek wrote:My little mind is still saying bad or out dated 600, now combine with chlorinated water is the reason.
And yet he said that chlorinated water was not used and the same mold from the same package is growing fine on other items in the same chamber at the same temperature and humidity level.

So it only leaves the casings themselves
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Apr 16, 2018 14:58

muxmun wrote:So now as this is drying there are long strips of air pockets. Not sure if I should worry about them or not.
Since there is no mold growing under the casing and the narrow gauge sausage will dry quickly, I wouldn't worry about it
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Mon Apr 16, 2018 15:05

Thanks BobK, I was reading to fast and didn't catch that part about water, my bad.
Very interesting subject though.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 18:54

So let me tell again - fibrous casings designed to be strong, smoke can penetrate thru (much less than natural casings), containing also oily substances to be easily peeled. They won't shrink good with meat. Because oily substances - mold won't grow on them (exempt some cellulose eating molds ).
Protein lined - these proteins act as "glue" so casings can adhere to meat particles and they shrink that way with meat(salami). also proteins are one of basics for mold growing - like food. They are practically not contain oily substances. Easily penetrated by moisture and smoke.
Here is picture of my failure - fat smearing - natural casings used but because fat - mold not growing - inoculated twice
muxmun
User
User

Post by muxmun » Mon Apr 16, 2018 19:45

Stefan
Now that you mention it, the sausage I have is VERY oily on the outside of the casing. I was wondering about that and was to be my next question. Interesting. I'm still learning stuff.
Bob. Thanks for that. Its been 2 weeks and I'm at about 28% weight loss. The PH now is at 5.36. My dish for testing was in a plastic zip lock and I did not have it closed. There are spots of white mold on it along with a green patch of mold about the size of a quarter. Nothing on the ones that are cased and hanging as far as I can tell.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Mon Apr 16, 2018 19:53

This has been an interesting subject, and I've retained some very good information on casings and mold growth, thanks for posting.

Sometimes we have to beat around the bush, before we get to the heart of the matter.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Apr 16, 2018 20:27

So where did you get and what type of casings did you guys purchase?
muxmun
User
User

Post by muxmun » Mon Apr 16, 2018 23:05

Bob
I think I used the wrong casing for the right sausage. I need to pay more attention to detail and learn some more before I jump head first into the pool.
Sausage Maker 1 1/2 inch x 24 pepperoni stick..pre-tied
They have great stuff. I just applied the wrong application. They have good stuff as I have ordered from them in the past.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Mon May 14, 2018 20:25

muxmun wrote: Its very hard to find small diameter casings that are protein lined. I did get a link on this board but the supplier is out and who knows when they will be back in stock.
For what its worth, I got an email this morning from Southern Indiana Butcher's Supply that the "1X24" protein lined fibrous casings are back in stock. Although called 1 inch, they actually stuff more like 1.5" (40mm).
muxmun
User
User

Post by muxmun » Mon May 14, 2018 21:26

Thanks JC

I got that email as well. I think I will go ahead and order these. :grin: