Finding out percentages

Philip86

Finding out percentages

Post by Philip86 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 06:09

If anyone knows the exact percentages of salt, cure2, and dextrose I would appreciate it and how you convert it. Math isn`t my best. I see that 3% salt is common and 0.3 percent dextrose how about cure and dextrose / sugars. Would be greatly appreciated
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jun 27, 2018 19:05

Philip Anthony

Read through your own old posts, most all questions you ask(ed) have already been answered.
redzed wrote:Making sausages is fun and rewarding because we can create something that we like and use ingredients that reflect not only our personal tastes but also our cultural and regional tastes. We can experiment and use whatever spices and herbs we like. However, when it comes to the use of salt in fermented dry cured products, there are regulations and standards. Unlike fresh sausage, where you can even use salt substitutes because salt is used only to flavour the meat, in dry cured sausage salt is used to extract proteins which make the glue to bind the meat and fat particles, and if you read our recent hurdle technology discussion, salt is essential in producing a safe product. I protects the salami from spoilage bacteria and forces water out of the meat cells.

For this reason it is recommended that you use at least 2.5% salt (salt and curing salt aggregate).