Dextrose, sugar, and both

Saltedtyme30
User
User

Dextrose, sugar, and both

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 04:03

I`m on my 6th book from Olympia to the art of fermented sausages literally reading page for page. Very glad I have been doing a lot of research before this next batch. My chamber has been set and all my controls are perfect ph meter is on point but a few things maybe is newbies might need to know ?

Some recipes use dextrose 2grams per 1000 and 2 grams per 1000 in same batch while others use just dextrose 3grams or just sugar. I`m sure it has something to do with lactic acid and the outcome of tang and funk- but I have searched and can`t find any answers. The book of fermented sausages by marianski has no culture in any recipe ( very knowledgeable book ) as to others they do use a culture. I don`t follow ruhlaman anymore I feel his recipes created disasters for newbies like me in the beginning as for the massive sugar 1.25 percent or more and frm 52 fast ferment so I wouldn`t recommend that book. The link to recipes that bob shared are amazing as to brings me to the dextrose sugar or both question seen in those recipes.
Philip Anthony
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:25

Saltedtyme30 wrote: The book of fermented sausages by marianski has no culture in any recipe
??????? All but a few specify a culture, Mostly T-SPX and a few with F-LC

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 19:15

Bob K wrote:Read all about it here:

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
learned a lot. Wonder why 2grams per 1000 is enough in the meat and sausages recipe. A lot of people on that thread posted almost 10g per 1000.
Philip Anthony
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jun 30, 2018 19:35

Saltedtyme30 wrote: Wonder why 2grams per 1000 is enough in the meat and sausages recipe. A lot of people on that thread posted almost 10g per 1000.
You only need to get the Ph down to 5.3 to reach that safety hurdle and the lesser amount will usually get you there if use the specified culture and temps. You can adjust the flavor by adding more sugar and thus more of a sour note, much like you can change the taste of a recipe by adjusting the spices. It can boil down to personal preference.
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 19:37

Bob K wrote:
Saltedtyme30 wrote: Wonder why 2grams per 1000 is enough in the meat and sausages recipe. A lot of people on that thread posted almost 10g per 1000.
You only need to get the Ph down to 5.3 to reach that safety hurdle and the lesser amount will usually get you there if use the specified culture and temps. You can adjust the flavor by adding more sugar and thus more of a sour note, much like you can change the taste of a recipe by adjusting the spices. It can boil down to personal preference.
thanks brother. I`m making a batch tonight. Should I test my ph meter in vinegar ?
Philip Anthony
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jun 30, 2018 20:17

Use your calibration solution's. They are of known values. Without calibrating before each use the meter can be inaccurate.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 01, 2018 15:15

Just a note here about terminology so that we understand each other. When discussing using "sugar" in fermenting sausage, we are using the term to include all sugars that can be used. In other words sucrose, dextrose, fructose, maltose and lactose. All meat bacteria metabolize dextrose(aka glucose), almost all metabolize sucrose (aka saccharose), the others by fewer. To slow down fermentation it is a good idea to use more than one sugar since dextrose will be consumed almost immediately sonce it is a simple single cell sugar (monosaccharide). The other sugars need a lag phase before the bacteria can feed off it in order to be broken down into monosaccharide.

Please refer to the excellent section on sugars in The Bactoferm Meat Manual, Vol. 1
The Bactoferm Meat Manual, Vol, 1 .
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 0515,d.cGU