Project "A"

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 09:33

Hi Guys,
Is the Salami Alessandra recipe ok with everyone? If so, maybe we should think about ordering our supplies on Monday and close the "sign up" sheet on Monday evening. I sent some emails to several members who won`t get them until they go to work on Monday. Let`s give them a chance to respond on Monday.
After that, while we`re waiting on the postman, allow me to present some written stuff for you to review. After that, I`d like to open up a discussion for the questions that arise concerning temperature, humidity, fermentation, curing, etc., and just a bit about bacteria and what they do. I`ll outline exactly what we will be doing and then later in the week, we should start thinking about our fermentation chambers. (Although I`ve got blinking neon, hot-stuff, iron-clad, glow-in-the-dark, professional equipment, I`m going to build one right along with you). Right now, we`d probably better consider our expenses and the items we`ll be needing. Some of you have ordered already, and that is just fine - you`ll have the jump on the project by a few days.

It looks as though we will have the following sausage wranglers participating: (in alphahysterical order)

1. Rand Iowa
2. ssorllih Maryland
3. JBK Indiana
4. DaveZac New York
5. uwanna61 Vermont
6. SikaStag Scotland
7. Gray Goat Illinois
8. Party Cook Wisconsin
9. Chuckwagon Utah

Lets start thinking about ordering or rounding up the following items:

Bactoferm T-SPX.......................$16.99 for 25 gr.
Bactoferm Mold-600...................$19.99 for 25 gr.
Casings 3" x 24"....................$15.99 for 20 protein-lined fibrous type
small pocket notebook............... minimal expense
hygrometer...............................$14.95
thermometer............................. $14.95
used computer fan.....................expense varies
extension cord...................expense varies
flat, lipped, cookie sheet.............expense varies
salt for "humidifier"....................expense varies
*You`ll need an old cabinet of some type, or you can even build your own. You`ll need some thick plastic sheeting to line it with unless you use an old refrigerator. The cabinet doesn`t have to be very large, just big enough to hang 4 salamis that are nearly 20 inches long when stuffed. These days, Wal-mart and such stores even have plastic storage boxes at reasonable prices.

Bactoferm T-SPX has gone up just like everything else and although it is $16.99 for a 25-gram packet, it will cure 400 pounds of meat! We`ll start with just ten pounds of salami so you`ll have to freeze the remainder (it has a shelf life of 6 months when frozen). That will give you a half-year to make 390 more pounds of pepperoni and salami!
Bactoferm "Mold-600" is $19.99 for a 25-gram packet and will give you enough penicillium nalgiovense to cover the Statue Of Liberty a few times with white, flaky, mold. The remainder may be frozen up to six months also.

We will need a few 3" synthetic fibrous casings and you don`t have to have protein-lined type, but they are certainly more presentable as they shrink with the sausage as it dries. They available at no additional price and come in bundles of 20 and are 2 feet long. Each casing will hold 5 pounds of meat, so you`ll have 18 casings left over for the next bunch of bewildering, batches. The bundle of 20 costs 15.99.

Your "curing chamber" will have to be about 90% humidity for 72 hours at about 68°; F. (20°; C.). We`ll drop the temperature by ten degrees for the 2-3 month drying period, down to about 58°; F. (14°; C.) while we reduce the humidity to about 80% for the 2 to 3 month drying period following the fermentation period.

Hey pards, I just thought of something. This has just got to be the world`s most unique and "spread out" batch of salami ever made! :cool: Shucks pards, we just might be makin' history! I can see us all on the News At Ten!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. Ross, either casing you prefer will work out. The 2-3/8" will just finish a little faster than the rest. And shucks, back when I was making these things with the cavemen at the Alamo, during the War of 1812, we didn't have any protein-lined fancy stuff either. :roll:
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Apr 28, 2012 05:36, edited 3 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
toolmann
User
User

Post by toolmann » Sun Jun 12, 2011 14:09

hi all , i wold be very interested to but unfortunatelly right now i cant do . am getting divorced and all my equipment is at the house an i am not there anykore till this thing gets sorted out
so sorry, i think it is a very good ideea do
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 12, 2011 18:34

Chuckwagon, How close to airtight should I make this chamber. If I peek in once a day is that enough ventilation?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jun 12, 2011 21:37

I think I'm on my way. I used an old TV stand with cabinet underneath. Tore out the shelf, put on a new back and new doors to fit the space.

The chamber is 24" high, 22" wide, and 15" deep. Still need to wrap inside with plastic and mount computer fan in back. Best part is, this cost me $0. Just about 2-3 hours of my time this morning. I think I have plastic around here somewhere, and a fan at work.

Any other suggestions?

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 12, 2011 22:36

Just slather on a coat of epoxy resin. Or even polyester resin but my first choise would be epoxy It is practically completely waterproof.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 07:58

Hey Siggi, We`re sorry to learn of the divorce in your life. Will you watch for my email? You`ve got pals here toolman, and we`re all hoping you quickly get back on your feet with any problems behind you. Stay in touch please.

I also heard from our ol` friend Gray Goat. He has been unable to log on to our site for some time but we didn`t know about it until this evening. We`ll save a spot on the Project-A for you Wayne. We might have to have you re-register with a slight variation in your handle.

ssorllih, you don`t have to make it completely air-tight, but it should keep out a stiff nor`easter! When we get underway, you`ll understand why you want to have complete control over how much air exchange (called air speed) you`ll have to have. For right now, just make sure it is fairly tightly closed up.

DaveZac, you`ve outdone yourself. That`s incredible! And you can`t beat the price eh? Now, you may wish to glue in or screw in a couple of notched furring strips along the top inside to hold a few hardwood dowels or rods - whatever you can scrape up. For your smokesticks, be sure not to use a treated-wood or a broom handle or anything like that. New, clean, wooden dowels would be ideal. Or clean steel rods.
Wow, Dave. That`s a first-class job sir! Just like all your other projects my friend.
P.S. Ross is right about the epoxy. Lots of folks have even used stainless sheet metal or even acrylic paints as well as the new epoxy paints used by folks who make aquariums at home. With the paint, you'll have to "break it in" a bit to eliminate odors. I like the idea of sheet plastic for easy removal of mold later on. With my "pro" model, I have to scrub out the old mold every time I make a new batch of sausage. I'm wondering if somehow you could "peel off" a layer of plastic sheeting and just throw the mold away.

OK folks, almost time to get underway. By the way, do you know where the cowboys` phrase "Yeee Haww" came from? When you drive a team of horses pulling a wagon or stagecoach, you yell out "Gee" to have them turn right. "Haw" gets them to turn left. Shucks, I`ve always wondered if you yelled out "gee" and "haw` at the same time while they were crossin` a creek, would they turn "starboard" or "port"? :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11

Hi Everyone,
Here we go... Yeeeee Haaaaww!

1. Equipment:

Let`s start out by reading some basic information by Seminole (Stan Marianski) that he has graciously shared with us. Some of it gets a little involved but it is great info. Most of us won`t be ordering the electronic controls quite yet, but it won`t hurt to glance through the material and know it`s there for later reference. Other information near the end of this article is very much worth studying a bit. Here`s the link:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... /equipment

Most of us will use a simple curing box with humidity boosted by salt spread out on a lipped cooking sheet. We'll put in just enough water to cover the salt and take reading of the relative humidity at several different intervals before we even put the salami inside.
Remember to jot down any questions in your notebook as you read the article. How about hashin' it over Monday evening?

Next, in a few days, let's go to:

2. Fermenting Sausage:

Here`s some basic material that Seminole (Stan Marianski) has written about fermented sausages. Read it again if necessary, to grasp as much as you can. When questions arise... jot them down in your notebook and post them here so everyone can benefit from our dialogue. This is the very basic information you`ll need to understand what`s happening inside that gorgeous curing chamber you`ve been building. Click on this link:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... ed-sausage

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:33

There is a food wrap product called 'press and seal" that is slightly adhesive on one side. That might be just the thing for a peelable chamber lining.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Jun 14, 2011 02:12

Chuckwagon wrote:DaveZac, you`ve outdone yourself. That`s incredible! And you can`t beat the price eh? Now, you may wish to glue in or screw in a couple of notched furring strips along the top inside to hold a few hardwood dowels or rods - whatever you can scrape up. For your smokesticks, be sure not to use a treated-wood or a broom handle or anything like that. New, clean, wooden dowels would be ideal. Or clean steel rods.
Wow, Dave. That`s a first-class job sir! Just like all your other projects my friend.
Done. Screwed in two notched furring strips as suggested. I was going to use hooks to hang salami from.Your suggestion made me think straight. Hardwood dowels will be better for my Kabonasy to hang from too. I really like the press-n-seal idea too. Gonna try that.

Dave
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jun 14, 2011 03:13

A little cart before the horse here but as we are planning a 30 percent weight reduction(?) in the finished sausage I presume that it is prudent to weigh and label each link at the start.
This would indicate the need for a scale somewhat more accurate than the bathroom scale.
Smoked sausage is often shown hanging two links middled and touching a little while in the smoke. It is better that these planned links don't touch one another. Yes? Even better that they not be crowded but have plenty of elbow room even though they lack elbows?
Ross- tightwad home cook
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Tue Jun 14, 2011 03:32

Hi Chuckwagon

I don't know if you have received my reply . (no way to tell if my answer has been sent )
Lets make dry cured salami together

yes I would like to join you in doing this.

John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 04:08

Hey Partycook,
Good to have you aboard. Are you ready to make some great salami?
Did you send another note? Perhaps an email? Telegraph? Pony Express Rider? :lol:
We didn't receive any other note - just in case you need to check your computer.
OK partycook, remember to check out the topic "Project A" each day. Right now it's in Hyde Park (chat) but we'll be moving it soon to a more appropriate forum. Glad you're with us Partycook!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 08:43

Hi Sausagemakers, Our "Project A" participants include:

1. Rand....... Iowa
2. ssorllih....... Maryland
3. JBK....... Indiana
4. DaveZac....... New York
5. uwanna61....... Vermont
6. SikaStag....... Scotland
7. Gray Goat....... Illinois
8. Party Cook....... Wisconsin
9. Chuckwagon....... Utah

We should outline our intentions and make the project a little more clear for those having questions remaining. Project "Allysanndra" is a way to make Genoa type salami (Allysanndra) on a shoestring. As most of us are on a budget, it`s difficult to lay out several hundred bucks for first class equipment - especially in this economy. I`m suggesting that you can cut a few corners and still enjoy making some great tasting dry-cured salami. We`ll have to make our own cabinets or find an old refrigerator. (See "equipment" below). We`ll have to do without electronic controls but we can get around them although it is not as convenient as having automatic regulators. Later on, we`ll add moisture by placing a bed of salt in a lipped pan and barely covering it with water. We`ll have to monitor the humidity so a hygrometer will have to be purchased along with a thermometer.

OK everyone, we should have ordered our supplies today (Monday) or by Tuesday noon at the latest (6/14/11). Order Bactoferm T-SPX, and Mold-600. Make sure you have some casings (see the dialogue above for the type), a hygrometer and a thermometer. You might also need some hog rings if you use them. Please let us know when you receive them.

Again, while we`re waiting, let`s study a bit! During the next couple of days, I`d like to have you read some material. Let`s take the following items in sections. Please read numbers one and two by Thursday or Friday. Jot down notes in your notebook. Also, write down any questions you`d like to ask on the forum. I`d like to post some questions for you to consider while you read. If you`d prefer, you could read the material, then answer them to let yourself know how you are doing in understanding the material.

No one expects you to go deep into the theory of fermentation or delve way down into the issue of bacteria. But I think you`ll agree, you should at least know a few basics and read a bit about just what in the heck we are doing! Although our own health and safety are vitally important, the health and safety of other people who are consuming our hand-crafted product, becomes paramount! You surely wouldn`t want to injure anyone, so please read and understand the basics. And for goodness sakes... don`t be afraid to ask questions. There are no silly questions, and by asking a simple question, you don`t have to feel embarrassed in any way.

1. Equipment:
Let`s start out by reading some basic information by Seminole (Stan Marianski) that he has graciously shared with us. Some of it gets a little involved but it is great info. Most of us won`t be ordering the electronic controls quite yet, but it won`t hurt to glance through the material and know it`s there for later reference. Other information near the end of this article is very much worth studying a bit. Here`s the link:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... /equipment

2. Fermenting Sausage:
Here`s some basic material that Seminole (Stan Marianski) has written about fermented sausages. Read it again if necessary, to grasp as much as you can. When questions arise... jot them down in your notebook and post them here so everyone can benefit from our dialogue. This is the very basic information you`ll need to understand what`s happening inside that gorgeous curing chamber you`ve been building. Click on this link:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... ed-sausage

After a few more days, we`ll move on to these topics, one at a time:

3. Cultures:
Lets click on another link and talk about bio-cultures. Again, Stan has shared much information with us. It`s important to know what Bactoferm is doing inside our salamis. Here`s the link for understanding cultures:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... e/cultures

4. Safety Hurdles:
This article addresses the information we need to know so we don`t poison ourselves! It is most interesting and sure to bring up lots of questions. Click on this link:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... ty-hurdles
It would also be beneficial to review the FSIS regulations regarding the calculation of nitrates and nitrites in meat products. Their handbook is available to us in its entirety at this link: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSI ... 7620-3.pdf

5. Standards:
Here are the definitions and the rules that go along with this type of sausage making. Click on this link:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... /standards

6. Traditional:
Traditionally made fermented sausages are made without starter cultures or sugar and rely entirely on bacteria present in meat and in the surounding microflora. Interesting reading. Click on this link:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-ty ... raditional

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48

Hi Ross,
Yes, we`ll weigh and number each sausage as we initially place it into the CC. I use little cardboard tags with strings to tie to the end of each sausage, then use a PENCIL to record the "green" weight of each one. (Ink will run and smudge in a high-humidity chamber).
It`s also a good idea to record their weight in your notebook along with the date it went in and the humidity of the chamber at the beginning of the process. And yes Ross, a bathroom scale won`t do it. About your next question. There are no "links" in this type of salami. They are sausages almost two feet long, clamped with hog-rings or tied with heavy cotton string. There is a special knot to learn how to tie at the top end. We`ll even tie support loops with "half-hitches" on them to hold them while hanging. Of course, spacing the salamis is quite important as air circulation is a major factor in carrying away evaporated moisture (with the help of your computer fan). Why, I`ve even heard that down in Texas, they space them so far apart, you could drive a buckboard between `em!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Tue Jun 14, 2011 13:35

Some reading of of the first article indicates that I may want to find a potentiameter to control my fan speed. $3-$5 probably at radio shack. One thing I admit I am not good at is electronics and electricity. How do I know I am buying the the right "pot" for my fan. In my limited research I have read stories of guys burning up their pots because the motor had too much draw.

What do I need for my computer fan? Any electrical guys out there? I have a 2.2 W fan.

http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm

Dave

:grin: Click on arrow to view the next page...............................
Last edited by Dave Zac on Fri Jun 17, 2011 04:49, edited 1 time in total.