Finally... My First Dry Cure Project

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 19, 2013 04:53

Mike, I'm excited! It's gorgeous stuff. You wrote:
I would probably back off on the fennel for my taste next time. The flavor definitely concentrated these last few weeks. It does have a little bit of case hardening on it but not too bad for my first kick at it. Next time I will run a little higher humidity during the first 2 or 3 weeks.
Look how much you've learned! The knowledge you gained will be worth every cent you spent on the project. If you've kept good notes, your next batch should be just the way you want it. Heck pard, I can't see much wrong with your product. The center looks firm and you can "tweak" the ingredients next time. I just saw a commercial product in a supermarket that had twice the dry-rim that yours shows! I just shook my head because people will still buy the stuff. Your project looks very nice Mike. Congrats pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Sun May 19, 2013 05:40

Thanks CW.

I definitely did some learning with my first dry cure project. I'm not sure what's next just yet or when I'll have time but I'll certainly keep you guys posted when it happens.

Mike
rumbledethumps

Post by rumbledethumps » Sun May 19, 2013 16:57

Everything looks so good.

Cristie
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sun May 19, 2013 17:46

Beautiful job!
Godspeed!

Bob