Orange Lonzino

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Sep 16, 2013 20:28

Wow! That hurts. Time to raise a pig, Ursula!

Jeff
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 02:58

Pork loins are on sale for 2 bucks a pound and I still found some Seville oranges so I made a couple of Orange Lonzini. Seville oranges are good for marmalade, cooking and definately make the best lonzino. But they are around for only a few weeks each year, so I did not want to miss the opportunity. Flavoured them with lots of garlic toasted fennel and smoked sea salt. Cured with 0.6% cure 2. Vac-packed and into the fridge for 10 days or maybe 2 weeks. This is probably one of the best and easiest dry cure products you could make.

Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:53

Just had to try this, so one loin is in the vacpack!
Jan
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Thu May 29, 2014 19:36

Hi Chris,
I've been wanting to ask you if you bother freezing the pork loin to meet the Certified Pork Standards when preparing a loin for Lomo or Lonzino? I picked up a half loin today, and I plan to divide it into two parts. I want to try one of each; I already have two small Breasola drying in UMAi bags.
Jim
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu May 29, 2014 22:03

Most of the time I use frozen loins since I stock up when they go on sale. This last one, however, was made from a fresh loin. I know that this does pose a risk of trichinosis, but it is so rare these days that I'm willing to take it. I certainly don't take this risk with game meat, and always freeze it before making any dry cured products. But there is a study that found that that raw cured pork was free of trichinae after a longer period of curing. And I usually hang my loins for six weeks or longer.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Fri May 30, 2014 13:43

Thanks for the reply, Chris. Jean and I discussed the risk, the length of freezer time, and who else might consume it. Once the grandkids were placed into the equation, the choice was simple!

My deep-freeze is running at -13° F, and according to CW's link to FSIS standards at http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4808 I only need ten days at that temperature.

Even with this extra step, I should be tasting samples by early August!
Jim
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri May 30, 2014 14:51

Hi Folks, once again... please note that simple freezing does NOT destroy trichinella spiralis. Image

In 1900, one and a half persons out of 100 consuming undercooked pork were contracting trich! That`s outrageous! Unbelievably, it has only been since 1947 that the U.S. Public Health Service began keeping records on the disease. During the four year period from 1966-1970, its prevalence decreased to 0.125% as changes took place in the pork industry. Since 1982, the number of reported human trichinellosis cases related to eating pork has decreased, although at this point in time, we still have about 33 cases per year. The problem? Home-raised and direct-from-farm pork. Why? It is because home-raised and direct-from-farm swine and pork from foreign sources are unaffected by regulations and standards followed by the U.S. commercial pork production industry that have helped to reduce Trichinella prevalence in commercial pork. Outbreaks of trichinellosis associated with noncommercial sources of pork continue to be reported. In fact, trichinellosis cases associated with noncommercial pork now outnumber those cases associated with U.S. commercial pork.

Deep-Freezing kills T. spiralis larvae in pork. Pork <6 inches thick can be made safe if frozen to -20°F (-29°C) for 6 days, -10°F (-23°C) for 10 days, or 5°F (-17°C) for 20 days. However, we as sausagemakers should remember that freezing might not kill other species and types of Trichinella found in wild game. If you are processing wild game, please be aware that there are further freezing requirements to observe. If you are confused by these requirements, please contact me for clarification. Simple freezing does NOT destroy trichinella spiralis. We must observe the recommended sub-zero temperatures in the recommended time period to guarantee safety.

For more information about Trichinella Spiralis, please click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=26550#26550

I am 101% behind Jim and Jean when they say, "Once the grandkids were placed into the equation, the choice was simple!" My hat is off to you folks! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat May 31, 2014 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri May 30, 2014 21:53

Hi Ursula,
The reason we now have only 500 pig farmers in Australia is Government interference.
Nearly 99% of dairy farmers had pigs to use up the milk after cream separation.
Then came Government regulation of the dairy industry, now we have virtually nil pig farmers and a very small amount of dairy farmers. Milk now sells for $ 1,49 for 2 litres and dairy farmers are going broke. Go figure!!!!!!!!!!
In the not too distant future, Australia will be an importer of milk. One guess from where???
Cheers,
Jan.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sat May 31, 2014 01:15

I'm confused about this product. I have never heard of it but it looks scrumptious. Can this be made by vac sealing w/the proper ingredients and refrigerating only with no hanging??
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Wed Aug 09, 2017 21:56

Chris,

In the first lonzino you did on the first page of this thread, you used 0.25% cure #2.

For the Seville lonzino you did on page 2 of this thread, you used 0.60% cure #2.

Is there a max cure #2 to use on whole muscle cuts? I always used 0.25% cure #2 for coppa, bresoala, etc whole muscle cuts. Plus sea salt, spices, etc.

Should I be using more than 0.25% on my whole muscle cuts, like you did on your Seville Lonzino?

Thanks!
Jason
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 10, 2017 06:39

Hi Jason,
I used 6g/kg of cure on that particular occasion because it is still within the parameters allowed by the USDA and the amount in some of Marianski's recipes, i.e. his recipe for Lomo Embuchado. http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-ot ... -embuchado

However, that was then. At the present time I use 2.5g/g and sometimes 3g/kg of Cure #2 (6.25% nitrite, 4% nitrate) in my dry cured sausages and equilibrium cured whole muscle cuts. That way I am still within the Canadian limits, which are 200ppm of nitrite in all products, (except bacon which is also 120ppm) and an additional 200ppm of nitrate is allowed in dry cured products. This is way lower than what is allowed in the US. When making smoked sausages i use 2g/kg of Cure #1, that comes in at 120ppm which is closer to the European practices. Currently I am experimenting with using pure potassium nitrate in my dry cured salami, adding .4g/kg which is .04% or 400ppm.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Aug 10, 2017 22:35

Looking at my notes from my coppa and bresaola I have been doing the 1/2 salt + 1/2 cure mixture, then adding the remaining 1/2 when the cure time is halfway done (ie. after first week of a two week curing time)

Is there a reason to go thru this added step on all whole muscle cuts? I just finished assembling an orange lonzino this afternoon using this same 1/2 method, so in 10 days I plan on adding the remaining 1/2 salt/cure mixture, then finish curing for another 10 days (20 days total)

I usually leave my vac back extra long for when I have to cut it open and add the remaining 1/2 salt and cure halfway thru curing time. It would be nice to just add all the salt and cure initially, and leave the bag sealed the whole time, massage every day or so, until the 2 weeks curing time has finished...and not waste such a long vac bag piece!

Any thoughts?

thanks!
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Aug 11, 2017 00:04

Distribute the whole amount over the loin or coppa and if you vac seal, there is no need to do it two steps. That is what equilibrium curing is all about.