Venison Landjaeger Recipe Wanted.

Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Venison Landjaeger Recipe Wanted.

Post by Divey » Wed Sep 10, 2014 01:09

I am looking for a venison Landjaeger recipe here and I'm not having much luck.

I would like to list some of the things that I have available.

I have ordered some Bactoferm T SPX which should be here early next week and quite possibly Friday. I have a largish cool room and also a hot smoker (which can be cooled somewhat with a large block of ice.) I have a fair supply of frozen venison, natural sausage skins and a sausage filler.

Can someone assist me with a recipe and also some other items I may need to purchase :?:
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Wed Sep 10, 2014 06:55

Thank you for your very informative reply.

If I was to take your advice and go with the Land Peak Landjaeger, I feel that I would have to use some fat as the venison I have has been butchered into the same cuts as you would with beef, however, there is absolutely zero fat of any description on these cuts.

If I was to substitute the Lean Beef to Venison and the 'certified' (I don't really know what 'certified' means) Pork Butt at the same ratio of 7lbs to 3lbs would you consider that to be okay.

I may add that the term 'Pork Butt' is something that I am not familiar with here in Australia. I shall speak to my friendly butcher and maybe he can shed some light on the term.
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Wed Sep 10, 2014 06:57

Okay, Pork Butt equals Pork Shoulder...... correct :?: :?:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 07:17

Hi Divey,
Yup, pork "butt" is shoulder. It got its name "butt" in Colonial Boston where butchers packed pork shoulder into casks called "butts".
In any semi-dried or dry cured sausage, there is always a risk of fat going sour because it cannot be "cured" by sodium nitrite. This is the reason jerky does not contain large streaks of fat. Of course it is impossible to remove every trace of fat in meat, so we just remove as much as possible in dried products such as jerky. However, if you wish to add fat, it would surely be pork fat because of the flavor profile.

In North America, there are five known species of Trichinella. They are Trichinella spiralis, T. nativa, T. pseudospiralis, Trichinella T-5, and Trichinella T-6. The one we deal with most often in pork is trichinella spiralis. The other four occur mostly in game animals. Species T-5 is found mostly in bears and other wildlife in the eastern United States, while species T-6 is mostly in bears and other wildlife in the Northwestern United States. Species T. nativa is found in Alaska. Both T. nativa and Trichinella T-6 are resistant to freezing. Trichinella pseudospiralis has been reported infrequently from birds, but can infect pigs also. :cry:

You would be surprised at just how many people believe that simple freezing will destroy trichinella spiralis. Actually, the majority of people believe it, and that frightens me. I often think of the folks who shoot javelinas and think simply freezing the carcass will take care of trichinella spiralis. It absolutely will not! In fact, The Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, at Massachusetts General Hospital has concluded that "Smoking, salting, or drying meat are not reliable methods of killing the organism that causes this infection". Further, "Only freezing at subzero temperatures (Fahrenheit) for 3 to 4 weeks will kill the organism". If folks ever gazed into a microscope and saw the round nematode worm embedded far into human muscle tissue, they would surely think twice about proper sub-zero temperatures. The first time I saw the living microorganism beneath the microscope, I thought I'd lose my lunch! The thing that alarms me is that most people do not have the means of freezing meat at these cryogenic temperatures - so, they take the chance. Yet, if the pork has come from a reliable grocer rather than an "independent small farmer", you will be pretty much safe.

'Wanna get' really scared? Here's how the little buggers work: Trichinella cysts break open in the intestines and grow into adult roundworms whenever a person eats meat from an infected animal. These roundworms produce other worms that move through the stomach wall and into the bloodstream. From here, the organisms tend to invade muscle tissues, including the heart and diaphragm, lungs and brain. At this point, trichinosis becomes most painful.

But we can get rid of it right? Wrong! :shock: The medications Mebendazole or albendazole may be used to treat infections in the intestines, but once the larvae have invaded the muscles, there is no specific treatment for trichinosis and the cysts remain viable for years. Complications of the disease include encephalitis, heart arrhythmias, myocarditis, (inflammation), and complete heart failure. Pneumonia is also a common complication. So, what do we do? Purchase pork from a known, reliable, supplier who conform to USDA and FSIS rules and imports commercially-grown pork. Or, you can cryogenically treat your own if you are a small producer of hogs and insist on feeding your piggies the entrails of other animals.

USDA (FSIS) Regulations Regarding The Destruction of Trichinella Spiralis

The Meat Inspection Division of the United States Department Of Agriculture arranges the size, volume, and weight of meat products into"groups" to specify handling instructions. Meat from hogs, having safely passed these specific requirements, is called "certified pork".

Group 1 "comprises meat products not exceeding 6" (inches) in thickness, or arranged on separate racks with the layers not exceeding 6" in depth, or stored in crates or boxes not exceeding 6" in depth, or stored as solidly frozen blocks not exceeding 6" in thickness".

Group 2 "comprises products in pieces, layers, or within containers, the thickness of which exceeds 6" but not 27" and products in containers including tierces, barrels, kegs, and cartons, having a thickness not exceeding 27". The product undergoing such refrigeration or the containers thereof shall be spaced while in the freezer to insure a free circulation of air between the pieces of meat, layers, blocks, boxes, barrels, and tierces, in order that the temperature of the meat throughout will be promptly reduced to not higher than 5 degrees F., -10 degrees F., or -20 degrees F., as the case may be".

Item 1: Heating & Cooking

"All parts of the pork muscle tissue shall be heated to a temperature of not less than 138° F." Whenever cooking a product in water, the entire product must be submerged for the heat to distribute entirely throughout the meat. Always test the largest pieces since it always takes longer to reach the 138°F temperature in thicker pieces. Always test the temperature in a number of places.

Item 2: Refrigerating & Freezing

"At any stage of preparation and after preparatory chilling to a temperature of not above 40° F., or preparatory freezing, all parts of the muscle tissue of pork or product containing such tissue shall be subjected continuously to a temperature not higher than one of these specified in Table 1, the duration of such refrigeration at the specified temperature being dependent on the thickness of the meat or inside dimensions of the container."

Table 1: Required Period Of Freezing At Temperature Indicated

Temperature: Group 1 (first number of days) - Group 2 (second number of days)
+05° F. 20 days / 30 days
-10° F. 10 days / 20 days
-20° F. 6 days / 12 days

Item 3: Curing Sausage

"Sausage may be stuffed in animal casings, hydrocellulose casings, or cloth bags. During any stage of treating the sausage for the destruction of live trichinae, these coverings shall not be coated with paraffin or like substance, nor shall any sausage be washed during any prescribed period of drying. In preparation of sausage, one of the following methods may be used:

Method No. 1:
"The meat shall be ground or chopped into pieces not exceeding 3/4" in diameter. A dry-curing mixture containing not less than 3-1/3 lbs. of salt to each hundredweight of the unstuffed sausage shall be thoroughly mixed with the ground or chopped meat. After being stuffed, sausage having a diameter not exceeding 3-1/2" measured at the time of stuffing, shall be held in a drying room not less than 20 days at a temperature not lower than 45 degrees F., except that in sausage of the variety known as pepperoni; if in casing and not exceeding 1-3/8" in diameter at the time of stuffing, the period of drying may be reduced to 15 days. In no case, however, shall the sausage be released from the drying room in less than 25 days from the time the curing materials are added, except that the sausage of the variety known as pepperoni, if in casings not exceeding the size specified, may be released at the expiration of 20 days from the time the curing materials are added. Sausage in casings exceeding 3-1/2" but not exceeding 4" in diameter at the time of stuffing shall be held in a drying room not less than 35 days at a temperature not lower than 45 degrees F., and in no case shall the sausage be released from the drying room in less than 40 days from the time the curing materials are added to the meat.

Method No. 2:
"The meat shall be ground or chopped into pieces not exceeding 3/4" in diameter. A dry-curing mixture containing no less than 3-1/3 lbs. of salt to each hundredweight of the unstuffed sausage shall be thoroughly mixed with the ground or chopped meat. After being stuffed, the sausage having a diameter not exceeding 3-1/2" measured at the time of stuffing, shall be smoked not less than 40 hours at a temperature of not lower than 80 degrees F. and finally held in a drying room not less than 10 days at a temperature not lower than 45 degrees F. In no case, however, shall the sausage be released from the drying room in fewer than 18 days from the time the curing materials are added to the meat. Sausage exceeding 3-1/2", but not exceeding 4" in diameter at the time of stuffing, shall be held in a drying room following the smoking as above indicated, not less than 25 days at a termperature not lower than 45 degrees F., and in no case shall the sausage be released from the drying room in less than 33 days from the time the curing materials are added to the meat.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Sep 10, 2014 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Wed Sep 10, 2014 07:48

Thanks again Chuckwagon.

I assume that you think it's okay to go with the 70% 30% mixture for what I want to do.

I would also like to clear another matter up. I did not freeze the meat in the hope of killing any nasties.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 15:26

Divey, You wrote:
Thanks again Chuckwagon.
I assume that you think it's okay to go with the 70% 30% mixture for what I want to do.
I would also like to clear another matter up. I did not freeze the meat in the hope of killing any nasties.
You are mighty welcome Divey. I sure would like to see you post some photos of your project as you go along. The 70-30 should be fine for your "Landjaegar".

Of course you will hear from some purists that real, authentic, bona-fide, genuine, legitimate, actual, pure, original, proven, and indubitable Landjaegar is made only from pork! :roll: Just chuckle to yourself and go with the venison! Those criticizing purists probably don't have access to good deer meat anyway! So go with it. However, much of any wild game may be contaminated by trichinae. In any product that you are not going to cook before consuming, you should really follow through with the FSIS regulations about deep-freezing the stuff just to make sure all traces of trichinella spiralis are defeated. Better to be safe than sorry. Remember, simple freezing won't do the job. It must be deeply-frozen for a specified time according to the regulations.

Pork on the market today (sold in your local grocery store), is safe because of the adherence to safety regulations by the larger producers. However, we still see several cases of TS each year from unregulated private producers who do not obey the rules and feed the entrails of butchered hogs back into the herd. Thus the cycle continues.

Sometimes we see the occurance of trichinella spiralis in wild game also, including deer. It is just not worth taking the chance not to freeze and "certify" it before feeding the meat to yourself and your family. Please... once more... if you are not going to cook it... then "certify it" by freezing it to specifications. Good luck pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 10, 2014 17:10

Would placing the meat in a good ice chest with a block of dry ice get it sufficiently cold to do all of the killing needed in a short period?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 20:29

There are actually three important parasites found in pigs which pose a risk to humans who ingest raw or undercooked pork products, although most people only remember or consider trichinella spiralis. These parasites are Trichinella spiralis, a nematode or roundworm, Taenia solium, a tapeworm, and Toxoplasma gondii, a protozoan or single-celled organism. All three parasites have a world-wide distribution.

It should be noted that other species and types of Trichinella are not susceptible to freezing in the same manner as T. spiralis. Both T. nativa (T-2) and T-6 can survive normal freezing temperatures and remain infective. Several outbreaks of human trichinellosis resulting from freeze-resistant types have been reported.

The three types of practical destruction of Trichinella are heat (cooking), irradiation, and freezing. We are familiar with cooking temperatures and safety and as far as treatment by irradiation, it has been quite legal since the Clinton administration. Treatment of fresh pork with 30 kilorad of cesium-137 renders trichinae completely non-infective. However, treatment of T. solium cysticerci with doses of 20-60 kilorad did not prevent partial development (called "evagination") of tapeworms). Tapeworms appear to be much less sensitive to ionising radiation than Trichinella or Toxoplasma. Therefore this is not a viable alternative for control of cysticercosis in pork.

That brings us to freezing. Time and temperature combinations which kill cysticerci in beef include - 5 °C for 15 days, - 1 0 °C for 9 days and -15°C for 6 days (24). Shorter freezing times have been demonstrated to be effective for T. solium cysticerci held at - 1 5 °C for 75 min or -18°C for 30 min. Many countries require that carcasses found to contain cysticerci be frozen at -10°C for 14 days to kill cysts.

Trichinosis, the sometimes deadly disease caused by consumption of the trichina parasite, Trichinella spiralis, has always been a major concern of sausage producers. Trichina parasite larva commonly infest pork muscle, so most cases occur in persons who have consumed improperly treated or prepared pork products. Infections from consumption of sausage products typically occur when a fresh sausage product has not been adequately cooked by the consumer, or the sausage product has not been properly treated by the producer. The microscopic size of the trichina parasite larvae (0.1 mm) makes it difficult to identify in a typical packinghouse operation, so FSIS requires that all pork be treated to destroy the parasite, via heating, refrigeration, or curing.

In the sausage processing industry, heating is the most common treatment method. A temperature of 144°F is considered fatal to all trichinae organisms. This temperature is typically exceeded during the cooking process, however, products that are partially cooked at lower temperatures, such as smoked pork sausage, require additional treatment. These products typically undergo a formulation and curing process designed to eliminate trichinae. The process includes controlling the size of the chopped meat in the product, ensuring a specific salt content, and specifying the length of time in a drying room at a specific temperature.

I`ve already described (above) the freezing procedure to eliminate trichina as outlined in FSIS regulation § 318.10.

Okay pard, I`m slowly getting` around to your question about dry ice. The reason it is not used is not because of the condition of meat at all. It has to do with dry ice itself! Get this: Because it sublimes into large quantities of carbon dioxide gas, which could pose a danger of hypercapnia, dry ice should only be exposed to open air in a well-ventilated environment. For this reason, dry ice is assigned the "S-phrase S9" in the context of laboratory safety. In other words, it may be dangerous as industrial dry ice may contain contaminants that make it unsafe for direct contact with foodstuffs!

Although dry ice is not classified as a dangerous substance by the European Union or as a hazardous material by the United States Department of Transportation for ground transportation, when shipped by air or water, it is regulated as a dangerous good and IATA packing instruction 954 (IATA PI 954) requires that it be labeled specially, including a diamond-shaped black-and white label, UN 1845. Also, arrangements must be in place to ensure adequate ventilation so that pressure build-up does not rupture the packaging. The Federal Aviation Administration in the US allows airline passengers to carry only up to 2.5 kg per person either as checked baggage or carry-on baggage, when used to refrigerate perishables.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Thu Sep 11, 2014 03:51, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 10, 2014 21:07

We just have to be patient then. ;-)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Thu Sep 11, 2014 00:48

I was told by a hunting mate who is Danish that Landjaeger means Land Hunter. So, I'm guessing that would mean either wild boar (Pork) and/or deer (Venison).
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Sep 11, 2014 02:31

Yeah, that's what I used to think before I attended sausage university (AKA WD Forum). Landjaeger (German), salami cacciatore (Italian),kiełbasa myśliwska (Polish), etc. kind of makes sense that these sausages were made from game meat. But I was wrong! Hunter sausages are dry or semi dry sausages that don't spoil and are meant to provide sustenance on the hunting expedition. CW always carries one variety or another in his saddle bag.
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 03:23

From Wiki
According to the Swiss German Dictionary, the name Landjäger is not derived from the identical word for 'mounted police' or 'gamekeeper', but is instead a folk etymology from the dialect expression lang tige(n) 'smoked for a long time, air-cured for a long time'.[1][2] The Alsatian and French names for smoked air-cured sausage, Gendarm and gendarme, are apparently translations of the folk-etymologized German name.

A French/Alsatian chef I used to work with would make Landjager out of New Zealand venison and American pork. He would stuff it into sheep casing and let it dry out like salami. He wasn't a very good cook so I did not snag the recipe. :roll: That was many years ago so I have no idea of what it should taste like.
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Fri Sep 12, 2014 01:46

I received my packet of Bactoferm yesterday. :mrgreen: Cost of Bactoferm $12.90 AUD, cost of Express Freight $16.78 AUD. :cry:

I notice that the 'dosage' rate is 25 grams per 100 kilos. Doing a little maths indicate that this rate is different to what Chuckwagon states in his Land Peak Landjaeger recipe. Are there different packages of Bactoferm in the USA :?:

I'd like to clear this matter up before I proceed with my attempt at Landjaeger.

On another matter, I had to search around to find out what Corn Syrup Solids are. We call it Maltodextrine here and it is used quite often in brewing home brewed beer.
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Fri Sep 12, 2014 02:17

I have another question for you folks concerning my smoker.

This is a photograph of a smoker which is identical to what I own.........

The gas fired ring is underneath smoker and level with the gas control knob. The container immediately above the gas ring is the wood chip container and then the larger black 'pot' is for water to collect drippings etc when smoking.
I have heard that the water 'pot' can be filled with water and then freeze the lot and place it into the smoker immediately at the point of firing up the smoker to give you a cold or cooler smoked product rather than cooking it.

What are you thoughts on this in regards to Landjaeger :?:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 06:20

Divey,
Here are the stats for Chr. Hansen Bactoferm™ T-SPX
(Slow: Assists with drying a month or more) Also: Semi Dry Cured

Bactoferm™ T-SPX is a freeze-dried culture well suited for all fermented sausages where a relatively mild acidification is desired. T-SPX is particularly recommended for the production of Southern European type of sausages, low in acidity with an aromatic flavor. The culture is suitable for molded as well as smoked fermented sausages. (Semi Dry Cured)
Each 25-gram packet of Bactoferm™ T-SPX will treat 440 pounds (200 kilo) of meat. Freeze remaining culture. Note: Cultures must be stored in freezer 6 months. Un-refrigerated it has a shelf life of only 14 days.

Stan Marianski determined that only 0.6 g. (1.4 tspn.) of T-SPX will be sufficient for 5 kilograms of meat and he uses that measure in his recipe shown here:

Stan Marianski`s Landjaeger Recipe:

Pork 70% 3.5 kg. (7.7 lb)
Beef 30% 1.5 kg. (3.3 lb)
Salt 140 g.
Cure #2 12 g.
Dextrose 15 g.
Pepper 15 g.
Cumin 10 g.
Nutmeg 10 g.
T-SPX 0.6 g. (1.4 tspn.)

Grind pork though 3/16" plate. Grind beef through 1/8" plate. Mix all ingredients with the meat. Stuff loosely to only 80% capacity into 32-36mm hog casing. Make 8" links. In a fermentation room, place stuffed sausage between two boards with a little weight on top.
Ferment at 68°F for 72 hours in 95% humidity. Remove boards and wipe off any slime. Dry the sausages at room temperature until the casings are dry to the touch. Hang on smokesticks. Cold smoke at 68°F for a few hours to prevent mold growth. Dry at 54-60°F in 80% humidity for about six weeks or until 30% shrinkage has taken place. Store the sausages at 50-58°F in 75% humidity.

Landjaegar is a terrific choice for a high protein snack and it is similar to Austrian "Kantwurst". Both sausages are flattened into a rectangular shape. Most people don`t realize it, but the foot soldier of the German army in WWII very often carried this sausage just as our GI`s carried K-rations or Seamen carried C-rations. Landjaegar was the choice of the infantry`s "Vermacht" foot soldier. Actually, the Germans pressed the links flat during the lag phase between two boards as this classic shape helped reduce bulk while carrying it.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon