Coppa de la Vera

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Mar 03, 2016 05:12

I would think the Aw meter would be just another safety check to make sure the hurdles had been overcome. Just like checking the PH.

If the Aw could be checked inexpensively, I don't see why one wouldn't want to.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 05, 2016 15:12

Hey Jason, I am 1 week away from pulling the coppa from the salt bags. I am 8 days away from removing the beef from the salt bag also. I'm a mild kinda guy. What do you suggest to roll these in before I case them. Again, we are not hot 'n' spicy people. I did pick up a bag of the red sweet calabrian powder from Evan, but I would like some suggestions. Thanks.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Mon Mar 07, 2016 05:02

Lou,

Let me get my notes out and I will let you know.

My coppa and bresoala turned out great, so I will let you know what I rolled them in tomorrow.

I also have two coppa and two bresoala that will be done curing tomorrow (10 days for the two coppa, and 14 days for the two bresoala) so I will be rolling them in spices tomorrow and stuffing them into their beef bungs.

I think I will do corriander on one of the bresoala, and sumac on the other.

And hot pimenton de la Vera and smoked paprika one on coppa, and sweet Calabrian pepper powder and some other ingredient on the other.

But I will let you know what my last recipe was for both, it was GREAT!

Keep in mind you could probably roll them in cayenne pepper powder and they still would not be spicy. They are both sliced so thin that whatever is on the edge is less about taste and more about aroma and looks! That beautiful deep pork or beef flavor is soooo good that you forget about any secondary spices! There is not near enough edge to inner meat surface area to make it spicy, etc.

What you roll them seem to contribute more to aroma and looks than taste. However the more aromatic the spices, the mores you can seem to taste. The corriander on the bresoala is simply killer!
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Mon Mar 07, 2016 17:59

Lou,

On my Coppa, after it finished curing, I rinsed it well with water to remove the left over cure and spices, then rinsed well with dry white wine, dried it with paper towels, and then coated it in a mixture of 50/50 sweet and hot pimenton del la Vera.

And it didn't turn out spicy, so next time I will up my ratio to 20/80 sweet/hot.

I think the sweet Calabrian pepper powder you bought from Evan would be great!
Just sprinkle it all over so it has a nice coating, and stuff it into a cleaned and soaked beef bung. Tie it up (or net it) and then let it lose 30%-40% weight (personal preference) and you are done! I pulled this one at 31.7% and it was great! I think 35% would be even better for texture, so I will wait until 38% on my next one.

For the Bresoala, the process is the same, except I rinsed well with red wine and rubbed/rolled it in ground corriander. And the corriander is a PERFECT pairing for the Bresoala, in my opinion. Stuff, tie, and hang until the same weight loss. I pulled mine at 28.3% WL and it was fantastic. Will probably wait for 33% on the next one, just for fun.

They were pretty firm, so I decided to try them...no disappointments!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Mar 07, 2016 18:14

harleykids wrote: I rinsed well with red wine
Well that's better than wasting beer!

Don't forget other spices like Cumin and cinnamon.

For example: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=30

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/hams-other-meats/coppa

Also aging for longer than the time taken to reach a certain weight loss also contributes a lot to flavor....I go three months minimum
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:39

These two coppas of mine don't look much different after 12 days in my refrigerator. I spoke to Evan and he told me to mix all the salts at the same time and rub it into the meat. There was no reason to break the bag open half way through and waste another bag. Using 2.5% salt and .25% cure #2, the salt pretty much dissolved pretty quickly into the meat. I vacuum packed the bags and there's no air in the bags. I don't know if that's good or bad. Evan also said there wasn't much reason to rinse because I am using the correct amount of salt and it wouldn't be coated with salt like packing it. I am still going to cast with wine and red Calabrian powder. Just looking through the bag though, it doesn't really look like it firmed up at all. Should it have firmed up? Should there be any color change? I am planning on casing them Saturday.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Mar 10, 2016 13:05

Lou-
I do the same thing, add all the spices salt and cure at once and just massage them in once a day as it cures. It probably doesn't feel and firmer to you as it is vac sealed and compressed, you will notice the difference when you remove from the bag.
Many times spices are used during the curing process so they are rinsed off and new added before casing.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 12, 2016 15:14

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 12, 2016 15:15

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sat Mar 12, 2016 15:45

Looking good Lou!

Did you remember to prick the coppa all over?

That will get rid on any tiny air pockets and facilitate even and consistent drying!

Sterilize the pricker before you poke.

You will love those coppa!
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 12, 2016 16:35

Yes. I forgot to prick them when I tied them at 8pm. I woke up at 4:30am and remembered that I didn't, so I went downstairs and pricked them. I also gave them a coat of m600.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sat Mar 12, 2016 17:24

Good man!
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 12, 2016 19:29

Can I go 12 days on the Breseola or do I have to wait 14?
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sat Mar 12, 2016 23:31

12 should be fine, especially if it's not a monster eye of round.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 12, 2016 23:35

They are much smaller in diameter than the coppa