Humidity Issue with my curing chamber

warston
Beginner
Beginner

Post by warston » Fri Nov 16, 2018 01:21

warston wrote:An update on how it looks now after a week.
Forgot to mention that the pH now is 4.41 .. i think it dropped way than it should because of the wine.
I hope I don't end up with a super sour Soppressata.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Nov 16, 2018 03:40

Hey Warston that sausage does look good! The final pH will go up to maybe around 4.7 and you will have a pronounced tang. It's true that L. Sakei does not digest sucrose, but there are naturally occurring bacteria in the meat that probably took advantage of it, so not all of it ended up as residual sugar. If you are going to use FRM52 and wine again add no more than 3g dextrose and ferment at the lowest temp suggested in the spec sheet, 70F. That way you will have a longer ferment which will give you only a slight hint of sour and allow the S. Carnosus bacteria to affect the flavour and aroma of the sausage. The Staphylococcus bacteria does not function in a low pH environment of under 5.
warston
Beginner
Beginner

Post by warston » Fri Nov 16, 2018 07:46

Taylor good thank you very much for the half full information! The recipe I used cold for 12 hours of fermentation on 90 degrees. I wish I have left them at least 24 hours or so.. Next time I'll make sure to use T SPX culture and ferment on a lower temperature for 3 days. I would really be proud of myself if in 2 months I did not end up with a bad meat as a first-timer doing this :mrgreen:
I didn't have any idea about the use of netting which would have made the work a lot a lot easier .. Thanks to Lou after watching his video now I know. :oops: