Dry Curing time

AndyPandy
Beginner
Beginner

Dry Curing time

Post by AndyPandy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 20:19

There are times when a piece of meat that is hanging in my curing chamber has reached its targeted weight loss, but I would like to keep curing it for a longer time (to increase the funk), but I do not want it to continue to lose weight. If I vacuum pack it, do I have to put it in a regular refrigerator (at around 4 Celsius), or can it stay in the curing chamber? In addition to equalizing the humidity, will it also continue to cure, or is oxygen needed for that?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jan 27, 2019 22:31

Although most of the bacterial and enzymatic activity will no longer be active, based on my experience and anecdotal testimonials from many others, dry cured sausages will improve in flavour with added time under vacuum in the fridge. Storing vac packed salami at room temp for extended periods of time is not recommended.

In the future keep in mind that there are several factors that will increase the drying speed of your sausage: 1. Using meat that has been frozen; 2. Coarse grind; 3. High fat content; 4. Fast fermentation; 5. Low RH; 6. Warm drying temp; 7. High air velocity.
AndyPandy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by AndyPandy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:56

Thanks Redzed.You say that storing vac packed at room temperature is not recomended. But the idea was to keep it in the curing chamber at 12-13 C, so in the same environment as before, just now vac packed. Plus, I was not talking about salami, but whole muscle cure. Does this change your recomendation?