IFB
Beginner
Beginner

Good green mold

Post by IFB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 16:04

I thought I'd share a cool example of good green mold,

which I am 99% sure is Penicillium nalgiovense, given these examples here:

https://tasteofartisan.com/green-mold-on-salami/

I've never seen this kind of mold before but then again, this is the first time I am maturing salami at 80-86% RH. Below 80% it's usually snow-white in color.
reddal
User
User

Re: Good green mold

Post by reddal » Sat May 16, 2020 08:10

I've seen this kind of mold too - I think Penicillium nalgiovense (mold 600) can grow like this when humidity is too high for prolonged periods - or airflow insufficient in one part of the chamber.

I don't think its a problem in itself - but the sticks might not have dried as well as they should if the humidity was too high. Also people don't like the look of it so I try to avoid it.
redzed

Re: Good green mold

Post by redzed » Sun May 17, 2020 18:51

Yes P. nalgiovense can have hues of green/grey/turquoise in the later stages of development, but for the most part it's white, sometimes slightly off white or light beige. As to Victor's first post, it might be P. Salami, but without microscopic testing who knows? And there is never only one mould that will grow on your sausages. Even if you inoculate with P. nalgiovense, it may dominate but there will be several other naturally occurring strains alongside it.