Chorizo, Fuet & Salchichon

WillNZ

Chorizo, Fuet & Salchichon

Post by WillNZ » Wed Apr 29, 2020 09:23

Hi Guys,

First time post and first time trying to cure my own sausages. I have made a small batch of chorizo, fuet and salchichon, around 10 kilos in total.

I have read a lot of books and made my own curing fridge out of a second hand fridge. I am after any tips or advice if possible, I have followed the recipes on the meatandsausages.com site for "Chorizo Andaluz" "Fuet" & Salchichon.

My friend and I made the sausages (he is a butcher) and i now have them at home in the curing fridge currently set at 14 degrees c and 80% humidity.

The Fuet and salchichon i dipped in mold 600 just before i put them into the curing chamber, after reading a bit more I think I should have done this during the fermentation stage... as no mold has developed yet but I am only on day 3 at 14 degrees c.
The chorizo is developing a fine powder and on a couple there is a bit of fluffy white mold that i am a little worried about, should this be wiped off??

I have just had to move the sausages into a friends wine fridge as i have had a problem with the fridge I was using. I have no control over the humidity in this fridge but it is only temporary until my fridge is fixed or another sourced.

see photos of old curing chamber and the others in the wine fridge.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_5874-min.jpg
IMG_5876-min.jpg
IMG_5875.jpg
IMG_5854.jpg
Bob K

Re: Chorizo, Fuet & Salchichon

Post by Bob K » Thu Apr 30, 2020 15:17

Welcome to the Forum!
If the fuzzy stuff bothers you wipe it off, the mold 600 should eventually overcrowd it. Either way no harm done.
reddal
User
User

Re: Chorizo, Fuet & Salchichon

Post by reddal » Sat May 16, 2020 08:06

WillNZ wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 09:23
The Fuet and salchichon i dipped in mold 600 just before i put them into the curing chamber, after reading a bit more I think I should have done this during the fermentation stage... as no mold has developed yet but I am only on day 3 at 14 degrees c.
I don't think this is a problem. Personally I don't apply mold 600 until after fermentation. It normally takes a few days to get going. If it doesn't just apply some more mold 600. If it still doesn't grow then I'd guess either your temp is too low or airflow too high.

- reddal