Coppa Mold - Does this look ok?

Tenorbrew

Coppa Mold - Does this look ok?

Post by Tenorbrew » Wed Jul 08, 2020 14:30

Hi folks,

Sorry to start another post on mold, but I couldn't find what I was looking for by searching.

I recently hung my first coppa (using the Olympia Provisions recipe) and it has been drying for 9 days so far at about 13C and 79-80% humidity.

I did not inocculate with mold, but I have about 10kg of salami hanging in the chamber which has been.

4 days ago I noticed the appearance of spots of white mold (as I had hoped), but now some of the mold has taken on a greenish hue.
Has anyone experienced this?

Going by some of the posts I have read here I am not too worried yet, as I think it might be part of the life cycle of the Bactoferm 600 mold my salamis are cased in, or some other benign mold. I was planning on giving the Coppa another day or two to see how it develops before wiping down with vinegar solution if necessary. The mold on my salamis is a white as snow. Could the green mold be coming from the paprika, coriander or chilli in the rub, or the netting?

Thanks for your help,

tenorbrew
Attachments
IMG_7274.JPG
IMG_7272.JPG
Bob K

Re: Coppa Mold - Does this look ok?

Post by Bob K » Thu Jul 09, 2020 16:45

Welcome to the Forum!
I really wouldn't be concerned about the indigenous mold.The white mold will dominate before all is done. If it bothers you wipe it off and inoculate with the mold 600
Tenorbrew

Re: Coppa Mold - Does this look ok?

Post by Tenorbrew » Fri Jul 17, 2020 15:20

Thanks, Bob K.

I'm not too worried.

Here a couple of photos from yesterday so I can record the competition.
Still no noticable effect on the surrounding salamis.

Cheers,

tenorbrew
Attachments
IMG_7285.JPG
IMG_7284.JPG