Dry aging greenhorn questions

cheztodd

Dry aging greenhorn questions

Post by cheztodd » Tue Dec 08, 2020 23:55

Hi,
ive had a couple issues. my first batches of Salumi didn't stay pink. I use RM-52 and let it hang in my kitchen at 80 for about 24 hours. then dipped in 600. drying chamber maintained 55 degrees and 75% humidity. it seems to stop at about 38% weight loss. Flavor is good but didn't stay pink and I didn't get any mold at all, good or bad. A colleague said that he only used the RM-52 for summer sausages and uses T-SPX for salumi. He also said that he keeps his in a bustub for 3-4 days at 80 degrees and gets a lot of liquid discharge. I didn't get any seepage. his has a nice color. My studies show that I could use either but the RM-52 is more of a rapid. can any one share any knowledge on when to use either of these properly? and what is the proper way to store the sausage during the fermentation process? hanging or covered and dark? should there be a lot of liquid discharge during this process?

My second batch i did the same thing. except then i spoke to my colleague after i went to the drying chamber after 2 days... he suggested taking it back out for a couple days so i did... I went to the bustub, covered with plastic wrap and a lid now for about 65 hours. still no liquid discharge. I'm ready to dip them in the 600 and go back to the cooler and hope for the best results. should i dip or spray again with the 600 if i do not have good mold after 8-10 days? what did i do on my first batch that prevented any kind of mold at all?

really excited to hear any information that might be shared.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Butterbean

Re: Dry aging greenhorn questions

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:20

Sorry but I think I have more questions than answers. Don't understand the liquid discharge you are referring to. I ferment in a warm high humid environment so there is a lot of moisture during this process but I'm not looking for discharge from the meat. What's your pH? Also might help if you tell your recipe and process.
wasuky
User
User

Post by wasuky » Wed Dec 09, 2020 16:17

I'm not an expert but the only times I've seen my sausages leaking is then is way too hot (my controller was saying 28ºC but it was actually 34ºC) or when I grind meat and fat together using a fine grinding plate.

Last week I made 1kg of spanish chorizo to dry and 1kg of chistorra (I use the same recipe except that the spanish chorizo had more salt and the fat was diced separately). I hanged everything in the same small chamber at 29-30ºC and 80-85%. Only the chistorra dripped a little bit.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 10, 2020 07:35

Hello cheztodd, welcome to the forum. I hope that by now you transferred the salami to your curing chamber. Threre should be no exudate from the sausage during the fermentation. Yes there will be water formation but that is usually condensation from the higher humidity in the chamber. Can you describe the rest of the process you used, the amount of glucose or other sugars and the rest of the ingredients. If you are trying to make a Mediterrean style salami, then you fermentation temp is way too high. I'll go over everything once we hear from you.
cheztodd

Post by cheztodd » Thu Dec 17, 2020 05:33

Butterbean wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:20
Sorry but I think I have more questions than answers. Don't understand the liquid discharge you are referring to. I ferment in a warm high humid environment so there is a lot of moisture during this process but I'm not looking for discharge from the meat. What's your pH? Also might help if you tell your recipe and process.
by discharge i mean that my friend said his salumi releases lots of liquid during the fermentation process. haven't checked my PH.

first recipes were micheal Ruhlman and brian polcyn SALUMI book.
Salumi Tartuffi and Salumi Porcini

Basic grind and mix
4 lb pork
1 lb pork fat
56 gr sea salt
7 gr curing slat #1
8 gr black pepper
56 gr truffle oil
15 gr garlic
175 ml white wine
10 grams BM-52
30 ml distilled water

then mold 600

so i mixed and then added the dissolved BM52 and mixed enough to incorporate, piped into the casing, weighhed and labeled, hung at room temp (about 75) for 24 hours humidity was probably only about 60% (recipe called for 80)

maybe this was my mistake.. i should've adjusted the incubation time longer to adjust for the lower humidity.

after that i dipped in the 600 and hung in the drying chamber. temp averaged 60 and humidity at 70

neither of the recipes stayed pink or accumulated the healthy mold

but the flavor was good
cheztodd

Post by cheztodd » Thu Dec 17, 2020 05:48

redzed wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 07:35
Hello cheztodd, welcome to the forum. I hope that by now you transferred the salami to your curing chamber. Threre should be no exudate from the sausage during the fermentation. Yes there will be water formation but that is usually condensation from the higher humidity in the chamber. Can you describe the rest of the process you used, the amount of glucose or other sugars and the rest of the ingredients. If you are trying to make a Mediterrean style salami, then you fermentation temp is way too high. I'll go over everything once we hear from you.
i have transferred them now, its been about 7 days, i am starting to see some healthy mold growing on all.

the recipes i used this time are from the same book, I wanted to test their spicy and picante recipe side by side and also made a sopresetta. I chose to begin with 40-45 mm beef and some standard hog casings to hopefully dry faster and get some ready for x-mas. my next batches will be stuffed into large beef middles to start making "the real stuff"

I used the same process as described before to butterbean. the difference in method this time is that i heated my house to 80, put the humidifier near the sauce and let it hang for a 72 hours more (after i put it in the curing chamber for 3 days, as i mentioned previously, i didn't think i let it incubate long enough in order to get that red color i want in cured meats. ) then dipped in the 600

I am hoping the difference in time and temp will give me the color and good mold i want.

can you explain the best uses and differences between the BM-52 and the TSPX?

should i incubate in my drying chamber or do what i did and just hang it in my house and try to get the best atmosphere possible? the book says 24 hours with the BM-52 but that didn't work on my first recipes.

Also, I was still hanging some of the previous recipes so i didn't think it was a good idea to raise the temp and try to incubate in the drying chamber.

oh and these recipes had 10gr of dextrose for 5# total wt of meat and fat. the others did not have dextrose's sugar or glucose.

Looking forward to the feedback and any more questions.

Thank you
cheztodd

Post by cheztodd » Thu Dec 17, 2020 05:55

oh and redzed. I forgot to mention and ask.. when i went for the second incubation, i took my friends advice and and did it in a bustub, covered with plastic wrap and then a dark lid. it started to get some bad mold growth on it so i wiped them down with vinegar 2x, once after 36 hours and then again at 72 before dipping in the 600 and going back to the aging chamber. I'll try to upload a current pic.. seems i might be getting a bit of bad mold
cheztodd

Post by cheztodd » Thu Dec 17, 2020 06:18

sausage 2.jpg
Sausage 1.jpg