Starter cultures

Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Starter cultures

Post by Albertaed » Wed Dec 30, 2020 19:01

From what I have read most add starter culture to a couple of tablespoons (marianski says half a cup) of distilled water 20 minutes or so before the final mix and stuff. Going through some old posts I see a pinch of dextrose is added which makes sense. Also some say to let it sit for up to a hour or two to shorten the lag phase once it’s in the paste. I would think it’s not a bad idea considering it has food and water. Has anyone seen any marked difference?
Butterbean

Re: Starter cultures

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 30, 2020 20:27

Can't say I've ever noticed a difference but have never looked to be honest. I've always treated it like I do yeast in wine or beer making. Don't know if this is the correct way but it seems logical and have always gotten quick and good fermentations on all.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 30, 2020 22:05

Actually suspending the bacteria in the water is to help with its distribution in the meat batter. You don't want fermentation to start before mixing it in. Gerhard Feiner, a meat science authority, writes in his book on salami production that you should add it after 20 minutes in the water. The additional pinch of dextrose probably won't hurt, but what you get in the starter packet is mostly a dextrose carrier anyway, and very little bacteria. I now never go over 30 minutes before I add it to the mix.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Thu Dec 31, 2020 00:40

What’s your take on his book? Other than a little on the pricy side.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 31, 2020 07:23

The book was written for commercial salami producers. But it contains a wealth of information and Feiner knows his stuff. I refer to it on a regular basis. You can always go to your library and get it on interlibrary loan.