User

Post by revid » Sat Jan 28, 2012 20:41

hey guys what do you think of this stuffer,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 28, 2012 20:57

I am not impressed. The discription is no discription at all. There is no indication as to the drive mechanism. Screw thread or rack and pinion, all stainless steel or just the visible parts? How many tubes and what size? country of manufacture? warrenty?
Ross- tightwad home cook
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Mon Feb 13, 2012 22:52

Well guys,still don't have my stuffer.Few sites which have stuffers with the features I want,don't have them in stock.Ran into a few issues,that I want some opinion on,lot of opinions that the bigger stuffers(>5lb) don't stuffer the smaller casings very easy or not at all.Looking at this one ,
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product ... ge-Stuffer
but was wondering would it stuff casings for pepperettes?Some other opinions say that the single speed ones are too slow returning the piston up to refill?Guys give me your opinions and or expertise,Iam gettting hungry,lol.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00

Hi Gear Jammers!

My friend Mac at the Sausagemaker™ in Buffalo, has just shed new light on an old subject - that of metal gears on 5 lb. vertical stuffers. Allow me to quote some information he passed along to me today.

"Metal gears on the 5 lb. vertical stuffer is a sensitive subject here because there really are misperceptions out there. We have tested several samples of metal gears for 5 lb stuffers and wanted to take our stuffers along that route, but after testing them we decided they are a BAD idea for our customers. Here are the reasons why:
(1.) They WILL flake metal shavings. No getting around this one - tiny metal filings will be coming off them.
(2.) There is literally no 'give' to them, when you have increased back-pressure usually when stuffing small diameter sausage sticks or small breakfast links those gears got locked up for us constantly.
(3.) They are a gimmick more than anything practical. Metal gears are actually CHEAPER than our Lubricomp Resin Gears. We get calls all the time from customers that have the metal gears. We don't want to replace something good with a gimmick. Lubricomp is no 'chinsy' plastic.
(4.) Our gears are made using our own mold by skilled plastics-tooling professionals here. The 'other guys' don't want to fork over the dough for a quality plastic mold so they buy inferior metal gears from another supplier not in this country."

That should clear up a lot of questions for a lot of people I believe. My thanks to Mac for his straightforward reply. Hey folks, I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again... "to prevent damage to the gears, simply stop cranking the handle when the piston reaches the bottom of the cylinder". :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Mar 08, 2012 14:08

Maybe there should be a way to limit the amount of torque so you don't strip the gears. I'm thinking some sort of friction-slip device.

Additional cost would be an issue, as always. If it could be an option for around, say, ten bucks, maybe it would be good.

Google "torque limiting coupling device" for starters. Maybe the plastics wizards at Sausagemaker could mold something clever out of polymer.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Mar 08, 2012 16:07

just put a shear pin in the crank to shaft couple.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Thu Mar 08, 2012 16:14

I have had a 5lb stuffer for about 4 years now and it has plastic gears. I have never had a problem with plastic gears and completely agree with Chuckwagon. I tied some butcher string around the top where it bottoms out. It helps me as a guide
Oxide
User
User

Post by Oxide » Thu Mar 08, 2012 17:56

Chuckwagon wrote:
... We have tested several samples of metal gears for 5 lb stuffers and wanted to take our stuffers along that route, but after testing them we decided they are a BAD idea for our customers. Here are the reasons why:

(1.) They WILL flake metal shavings. No getting around this one - tiny metal filings will be coming off them.

(2.) There is literally no 'give' to them, when you have increased back-pressure usually when stuffing small diameter sausage sticks or small breakfast links those gears got locked up for us constantly.

(3.) They are a gimmick more than anything practical. Metal gears are actually CHEAPER than our Lubricomp Resin Gears. We get calls all the time from customers that have the metal gears. We don't want to replace something good with a gimmick. Lubricomp is no 'chinsy' plastic.

That should clear up a lot of questions for a lot of people I believe.

Chuckwagon, thank you, sir!!! Your friend brings a conclusion to my unanswered query of Feb 19th ... is there an advantage or disadvantage of vertical vs horizontal stuffers? :?:

Seems the horizontal stuffer ... with metal gears, is the way to go ... don't have to worry about the plastic gears breaking, don't have to worry about metal shavings getting into the mix. Both styles are priced similar.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 3f091#7937
--------
Oxide
User
User

Stuffers -- A Health Issue or Marketing Hype?

Post by Oxide » Thu Mar 08, 2012 22:19

I'm still chasing down what stuffer to get. I came across this is today on the website of a distributor for an imported stuffer (very not cheap) and wondered if it really is a potential health problem or is it just marketing hype?

"... wants you to be an aware consumer; some manufacturers take a short cut to creating the housing unit resulting in a seam where the container meets the stuffing tube. This seam can actually be a health hazard because raw meat can stick in this crevice. Take note: even if the unit appears finished on the exterior, the interior may still contain this seam."

Anyone noticed that seam inside of their stuffer? If you have it, is it an issue to clean? Or maybe the meat stuck in there is the mystery flavor your sausages have become known for? :mrgreen:
--------
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 22:30

Hi Revid,
These stuffers are made in China. I own one but in the 5 kg size. It works great without any trouble.
I would have bought the smaller one as the 5 kg size is a whopper. It all depends on how much sausage you consume/give away.
Regards,
Jan.
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

My stuffer

Post by circlecross » Mon Aug 27, 2012 00:19

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sausage King of Love County!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Aug 27, 2012 01:17

so much for stainless steel.
Ross- tightwad home cook
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

Post by circlecross » Mon Aug 27, 2012 01:47

It's worked ok for the last century. ChopRite still makes them. $600 more or less. I also use 100 + year old Enterprise grinders. Just an oldfashion kinda guy.
two_MN_kids
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by two_MN_kids » Mon Aug 27, 2012 03:54

The very first stuffer I ever used was a borrowed ChopRite stuffer. Heavy son-of-a-gun! But it sure was versatile. It is used as a Sausage stuffer, Apple cider press, and even a lard press, and probably more that I don't know about.

I only had it for one week, but I continue to look for one for myself. I don't know that I would use it, at least, not for sausages, but would just love to own one. It's just got class. :lol:

Jim
circlecross
Beginner
Beginner

Post by circlecross » Mon Aug 27, 2012 04:21

I have had 4 or 5 stuffers. The Enterprise is the best of them. I live 50 miles or so from Muenster, a traditional German town in North Texas and those folks still use them. The local hardware store keeps one in stock. $$$$ The brand new ones are identical to my 1886 version, completely interchangeable. I have never used mine as a lard press, but I do press wild grapes and fruit with it. They built things to last back then.