My favorite stuffer

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Apr 23, 2011 05:27

Me thinks you're both a bit off your rocker, however, my momma told me to love all creatures equally, even the slow ones. :mrgreen: Thankfully I'm pretty far south so should be safe for now....
steelchef wrote:I assume that you are referring to a very high quality, German made, kitchen knife by Friedrich Dick.

These products are rated right up there with Wusterhof's and Henckel Zwillings. To my limited knowledge even the revered Japanese Naifumēkā , (Messermacher) cannot claim superiority. Forged knives are just superior.
Actually I've referring to this: Image

As far as knives I consider myself somewhat well versed on the subject and I love all knives equally. F.Dick blades are good quality but for German I lean towards Wusthof or Messermeister. I've got a few Japanese blades also but for my sausage stuff it's mostly Forschner.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Apr 23, 2011 05:58

Well I had no idea JerBear. Aparently i don't know dick about Dick. :grin:
Really had no idea that they produced anything but knives. :oops:
Old Chuckcoot wil have a field day with this.

Happy Easter Bud and stay out of sight :mrgreen:
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Apr 23, 2011 06:03

They have quite the selection of awesomeness and their stuffers are second to none!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 30, 2011 09:35

The "chat" in this topic was moved to "sticky chat" in Hyde Park. :wink:
(Moved:4.30.11@02:30 by Chuckwagon)
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Tue Sep 20, 2011 01:43

I see that Jerbear is using a F.Dick is this a new unit ? I just bought a used F.Dick guy said it was in good working condition. I am hoping for a improvement in the stuffing speed of the smaller casings. I have a sausage making party coming up. We will be making about 100 pounds of summer sausage and beer sticks. Three years ago we were into a 100 pound batch and blew the gears out of a unit. I was lucky the store was open they took the old one back as long as I purchased a new larger unit

John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 02:28

Hi John,
The F.Dick company is 233 years old! Almost as old as Ross Hill! :shock: I believe Jer`s stuffer is a couple of hundred years newer than the first model they made and I`m also sure it`s one of the finest pieces of equipment he could lay his hands on. Frederich Dick was founded in 1778 in Esslingen, Germany and makes great steel products of all types, including some of the world`s finest knives and even circular saw blades. I don't think you'll be disappointed partycook. I don`t think the gears will strip out of this one! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Sep 20, 2011 03:28

I almost got a 5lb vert. stuffer, but heard about a guy who builds his own hydro-powered horiz. tube stuffers. I was intrigued enough to have him send me the plans & some of the machined parts that I'm unable to create, and built one from parts I located at the local hardware stores.

The 'Kirby Cannon' all assembled & ready to go:

One can use it inside (hooked up to the kitchen sink), but I prefer outdoors where spilled water is less of a concern:

Holds about 11-12 pounds of meat:

Flow of meat is very steady & controlled by one flow valve:

One of the nicer attributes of this stuffer is it can be easily operated by one person & BOTH hands are fresh to use on the links. Another nice thing about it is its real easy to clean.

Here's a vid showing the guy (Kirby) who designed it using his 32lb 'monster' unit:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... URTERS.mp4
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Tue Sep 20, 2011 04:00

So I'm guessing that there's a plunger with a sealing gasket on the back end? I'm surprised that a kitchen sink puts out enough pressure to move that meat. I watched a couple of his videos and like his idea of pinching the links during the stuffing process to give himself a place to link rather than linking after and upping the risk of the casing splitting.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Sep 20, 2011 18:17

JerBear wrote:So I'm guessing that there's a plunger with a sealing gasket on the back end? I'm surprised that a kitchen sink puts out enough pressure to move that meat. I watched a couple of his videos and like his idea of pinching the links during the stuffing process to give himself a place to link rather than linking after and upping the risk of the casing splitting.
Yep, plunger moved via hydraulics/water pressure. Regarding the pressure, per Kirby:
"... hydraulics using the house water to provide the force. With 60lbs of water pressure, the ram in the big stuffer pushes up with 3000lbs of force. The basic stuffer works just fine with 40lbs of water pressure."
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Sep 20, 2011 22:53

WOW! an 8 inch diameter ram.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Sep 21, 2011 01:08

I have a 5 lb vertical stuffer, it works very well. This hydro stuffer looks very interesting, and I also watched the video when he stuffs the German sausage.

:???: So little time for Bubba, so much interesting equipment to build.
More so if one mostly prepares and stuffs sausage when on your own, this hydro stuffer is ideal!
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 19, 2011 04:00

I will try to get Nancy to be more dedicated about stuffing sausage. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 20, 2011 15:26

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... =4437#4437
This post seems to show the sausage making equipment used to make this white sausage by Siera
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 05:23

Mmmmm.... not so dude of Maryland! Siara told me that the photo is of someone else's grinder. He has a "dedicated" stuffer. Siara is a pro, believe me! :grin:

Best Wishes,
Dude of the west
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 16:13

NorCal Kid wrote:I almost got a 5lb vert. stuffer, but heard about a guy who builds his own hydro-powered horiz. tube stuffers. I was intrigued enough to have him send me the plans & some of the machined parts that I'm unable to create, and built one from parts I located at the local hardware stores.

The 'Kirby Cannon' all assembled & ready to go:

One can use it inside (hooked up to the kitchen sink), but I prefer outdoors where spilled water is less of a concern:

Holds about 11-12 pounds of meat:

Flow of meat is very steady & controlled by one flow valve:

One of the nicer attributes of this stuffer is it can be easily operated by one person & BOTH hands are fresh to use on the links. Another nice thing about it is its real easy to clean.

Here's a vid showing the guy (Kirby) who designed it using his 32lb 'monster' unit:
http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... URTERS.mp4
I too have the Kirby cannon and its the best stuffer I have ever used. My water pressure from my well pump never goes over 28PSI and pushes the meat out at any speed I set. It's so easy to use my seven year old even makes sausage :grin: