Meat Saws Vs. Cleavers

story28
Passionate
Passionate

Meat Saws Vs. Cleavers

Post by story28 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 16:49

There is a debate among Chef's over whether a heavy cleaver or meat saw is the better tool for splitting bones. The meat saw team advocates that it can produce a cleaner cut. The cleaver team maintains that saws make a mess with the bone filaments they leave behind as they find their resting place on the meat itself. What do you guys think?
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 17:21

Hmmm, I know if I cut venison with bone in, it makes the meat taste like.... Well, Yuk! I typically de bone the meat and opt not to use any bone. I suppose if I had to cut / break any bones I would use a cleaver. On chicken I always use a cleaver. I would think the saw may create heat as it is cutting through the bones, more so on large bones. But, what do I know, I`m not a butcher :mrgreen:
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Mon Jun 27, 2011 19:16

I use a saw when butchering my deer. Much cleaner for me. Bone residue is no problem when I'm dealing with deer hair. You can't put up a shank without a saw.

I use a butchers knife for chickens and turkeys too.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jun 28, 2011 02:54

I learned meat cutting from a German butcher about 55 years ago. He had nothing but scorn for cleaver butchers. Use a saw srape the saw and bone residue away with your knife. Disjoint chickens and never break a bone. I can cut a chicken and slice through cartilage and never touch solid bone with my knife edge. If you like bone splinter in your meats then use your cleaver. You may even get a finger into your mix.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Tue Jun 28, 2011 19:47

You may even get a finger into your mix.
:lol: