Stuffer capacity recommendations?

eightysixCJ
User
User

Stuffer capacity recommendations?

Post by eightysixCJ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 01:06

Hello all,

After several years of thinking about it and grubbing from my sausage making friends, this year I'm pulling the trigger and getting rolling making sausage and need some input on equipment. I'm a fan of all types of sausage, dried and fresh, have ample venison, fowl, and boar. I'm committed to this and looking to set myself up with gear I won't grow out of but don't want to over do it on some pieces if I don't need to for the first run. From my sausage making friends it sounds like a 1-hp grinder is the foundation I need. I also want a vertical stuffer. After deer season a 25+#/batch would be normal but for fresh sausage I will be doing 5# batches most of the year. Will using a larger stuffer work with small batches or should I be looking at getting two stuffers in the long run? I guess what I'm asking is should I be looking at a 15-25# unit to work with large and small batches or should I be planning on a large unit for post-hunting season and a 5# unit for the rest of the year and for snack sticks etc. I'm looking at LEM and the Sausage Maker equipment.

Any advice on this and any other helpful/must have tools appreciated.

Tom
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 10, 2012 01:22

My guess is that the residue in a five pound stuffer is about the same as the residue in a twenty pound stuffer. Beyond that the size sink needed to clean the equipment is a deciding factor.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Fri Feb 10, 2012 01:50

Ross makes a pretty good argument for size, never underestimate the area where you can clean your gear. The only "problem" you may have with a smaller stuffer is that you have to refill it more often, which isn't a huge problem but can be a bit of a hassle at times. I got the 12 lb F.Dick stuffer from Butcher&Packer (also check out Allied Kenco) and have been very happy with it.

Similarly with the grinder, I've got a 3/4 hp Tor Rey grinder and I can't imagine needing a stronger grinder. Although, some of the larger models have a reverse option. That might be useful for grinding heavy duty stuff like poultry bones (I have a friend who fed his dogs a diet that included them) but other than that, 3/4 hp is a beast.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Fri Feb 10, 2012 01:54

I have a five pound vertical stuffer and have never wished for more. I usually make most of my sausage in the fall during hunting and slaughter season. I will make 50 lbs of venison, pork, turkey, chicken sausages over a weekend and don't find it a problem. I am almost never making more than 5-10 lbs of any single kind at sausage at a time. You want to clean out the stuffer between sausage types anyway. Unless you are making 20-50 lbs of the same sausage flavor I would recommend the good old 5 pounder.

Dave Zac
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 01:55

I have 2 stuffers 3 actually. I have a 20# cabela's vertical stuffer it works great for big batches of sausage and hog sized or bigger cases. It leaves about 1# in the stuffer once it bottoms out, and the force required to fill snack stick cases is unbelievable. I have a 5# horizontal from Lem I use it for small batches and snack stix it works great with the small cases and only leave a small amount of meat when it bottoms out. it does take up more table space to use. Finally in my winter home I bought a 5# vertical stuffer from Northern tool. I am in love with this stuffer. The only change I've made was to purchase SS tubes for it.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 02:13

DaveZac wrote:
Unless you are making 20-50 lbs of the same sausage flavor I would recommend the good old 5 pounder.
Ditto!
DaveZac for President in 2012!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
eightysixCJ
User
User

Post by eightysixCJ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 02:35

Thanks all! Great info.

Tom
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Fri Feb 10, 2012 21:11

I started with a 5lb stuffer for smaller batches. I just got a 15lb for Christmas, for larger batches. You cannot put a 3/8" stuffing tube on the 15lb stuffer. I would recommend the 5lb stuffer. Also look at Northern tool, Gander Mountain, you might be able to find one on sale.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat Feb 11, 2012 03:08

IMHO-I'm in with Zac and CW. My 5 lb'er has served me well.
revid
User
User

stuffer

Post by revid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 17:27

Hi guys,got the same dilemma,was looking at this one,
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product ... ge-Stuffer
what are your thoughts on this one?Think it would make small pepperettes?I heard the larger ones can't stuff the smaller casings <1/2". Heard from some guys they like the two speed ones ,the faster gear for rising the plunger and refilling.
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 17:44

You might be able to do pepperettes on it. the bottom line is the smaller the case size in proportion to your stuffer piston diameter the more force is required on your crank. My buddy has a 11# cabelas stuffer that looks very similar to what you show. We have stuffed the 21mm cases but it was a struggle( lots of force required) I would go with a 5# stuffer if you want to do pepperettes. Just my $0.02
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 18:22

thanks bud,its really hard to find a 5# vertical ss stuffer and someone that ships to canada!!!
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 22:59

you aren't looking very hard. The Sausagemaker, Butcher Packer, Lem Products all have 5# vertical stuffers and ship to Canada. Canadian sources are Stuffers.com from BC, and Princess auto also carry them.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 23:53

The KIRBY CANNON. If anyone is interested in information on these stuffers You can contact Kirby at Kirby_campbell@yahoo.com He also make's a 2 and 5 gallon bucket mixers. They will mix a batch of sausage in 45 seconds. Here are a couple of links showing the equipment in use.

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... GVIDEO.mp4

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... THMEAT.mp4

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... AUSAGE.mp4

this is the 30 pound verssion but the 12 and 15 stuffer works the same

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... THMARK.mp4

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... FRANKS.mp4
revid
User
User

Post by revid » Mon Feb 13, 2012 00:12

yeah I know of all of them but I want the two speed 5lb vertical,stainless and dont want to pay a fortune for it.Thanks for the info